Author Topic: ‘We desperately need money,’ climate envoy Kerry tells CNN amid criticism of his emission credits pl  (Read 195 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
‘We desperately need money,’ climate envoy Kerry tells CNN amid criticism of his emission credits plan

By David McKenzie, Ingrid Formanek, Chris Liakos and Ivana Kottasová, CNN
Updated 12:22 PM EST, Thu November 10, 2022

—
US climate envoy John Kerry on Thursday defended his plan to raise cash for climate action by selling carbon emission offsets to companies, telling CNN there was “not enough money in any country in the world to actually solve this problem.”

Speaking to CNN at the COP27 climate summit in Egypt, Kerry said the world cannot avoid the worst effects of the climate crisis without private money – because governments are not willing to pay what’s needed.

Kerry’s plan to finance the renewable energy transition in vulnerable countries by allowing companies to pay for someone else to cut their planet-warming emissions, instead of cutting their own, raised concerns among climate experts. Many have warned that selling carbon credits could discourage companies from making real cuts to emissions.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/11/10/world/cop27-john-kerry-interview-intl-climate/index.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Gosh darn it people, how is the Great Reset going to eradicate 90% of the population if you're not going to give them any money?
The Republic is lost.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
To prove how dedicated to the global warming cause he is, he should donate all the money he and his wife have to Greta Thunberg to save the earth! :headbang:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson