Author Topic: Will San Francisco Honor the ICE Detainer Request for Pelosi’s Attacker? And Would ICE Have Issued O  (Read 154 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Will San Francisco Honor the ICE Detainer Request for Pelosi’s Attacker? And Would ICE Have Issued One If the Victim Had Been Someone Else?
November 03, 2022

San Francisco finds itself in an uncomfortable situation. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has issued a detainer request for David DePape, the Canadian illegal alien who is charged with the brutal assault on Paul Pelosi, husband of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. ICE, which under policy edicts by Department of Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas, doesn’t do much enforcing these days, finds itself in a similarly uncomfortable spot by even issuing a detainer request.

San Francisco generally ignores ICE detainer requests under an ordinance, the preamble to which declares, “It is hereby affirmed that the City and County of San Francisco is a City and County of Refuge” for illegal aliens. The ordinance makes clear, that with few exceptions, no cooperation will be given to ICE when it attempts to take custody of a deportable criminal alien held by the city or county.

Even under more enforcement minded administrations, ICE issues few detainer requests to sanctuary jurisdictions like San Francisco, knowing that doing so is just a waste of time. Thus, the mere issuance of a detainer request for DePape smacks of disparate – shall we say, inequitable – treatment because of the political connections of the victim. Would ICE have bothered to ask San Francisco to detain a criminal illegal alien, if the victim had been Paul Smith or Paul Jones, instead of Paul Pelosi?

https://www.fairus.org/blog/2022/11/03/will-san-francisco-honor-ice-detainer-request-pelosis-attacker-and-would-ice-have
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson