Author Topic: U.S. extends temporary legal status of 337,000 immigrants through 2024 amid court battle  (Read 147 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
U.S. extends temporary legal status of 337,000 immigrants through 2024 amid court battle
BY CAMILO MONTOYA-GALVEZ

NOVEMBER 10, 2022 / 10:13 PM / CBS NEWS

The Biden administration on Thursday said it would extend the deportation protections and work permits of an estimated 337,000 immigrants from El Salvador, Nicaragua, Nepal and Honduras through the summer of 2024, preempting a court decision that could have led to their legal status expiring next year.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) said in a notice that it will allow immigrants from these countries to continue living and working in the U.S. legally under the Temporary Protected Status (TPS) policy until at least June 2024. Created in 1990, TPS is a deportation relief program the U.S. can extend to nationals of countries beset by armed conflict, natural disasters or other humanitarian crises.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/u-s-extends-temporary-legal-status-337000-immigrants-2024/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson