Author Topic: Science IQ Test  (Read 4008 times)

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
Science IQ Test
« on: November 09, 2022, 12:58:34 am »
https://august1991natgeo.blogspot.com/

What is wrong with page 38?

It is fun to have fun but you have to know how. - The Cat in the Hat
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 01:14:07 am by DeerSlayer »
The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "Wow, beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.
"You have the most agile mind of anyone I know." -
Avice Marie Griffin, PhD, Clinical Psychologist

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
Re: Science IQ Test
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 11:31:05 am »
One hundred views and nobody has commented. 

This is not surprising as roughly 10,000,000 Nat Geo members missed it as well and only one sent a letter to Headquarters to point out the very rare mistake this world-famous publisher made.  Still NG refused to print the letter and acknowledge their egregious error.
Will anybody at GOPBR catch it?  Not likely.
Once I point it out to you, it will be obvious, but until then........

[How is this possible, "subtle but obvious after you know it"?  Science is that way. You don't know it until you do.]
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 04:18:41 pm by DeerSlayer »
The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "Wow, beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2022, 06:43:14 pm »
Is this the infamous 'Page 38' you are referring to?

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 06:47:52 pm »
@DeerSlayer - Is it the homonym error?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2022, 07:30:01 pm »
Is this the infamous 'Page 38' you are referring to?

That is the only page shown in the website, so it must be page 38.
I featured the cover of Nat Geo so everything could be verified.  Nothing is touched up or changed in the slightest.  I am unaware of any "homonym error."

Ten million missed it. You have one chance in 10,000,000 of catching it, I say.
Once I point it out, you can slap your forehead and exclaim "D'oh!"

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2022, 07:37:25 pm »
So the error is in the pictures themselves?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2022, 07:48:57 pm »
So the error is in the pictures themselves?

The error is in the picture.  Just one.  Not easy, is it.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2022, 07:50:12 pm »
The shadows don't look right in the bottom picture.  And that one column towards the left looks like someone melted plastic.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2022, 07:52:55 pm »
Lower right corner.  That orange cigar-looking thing is a reflection of something.  You can see through it.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2022, 08:33:40 pm »
The picture on the bottom is upside-down.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2022, 08:40:10 pm »
The picture on the bottom is upside-down.

I flipped it over, but couldn't tell either way.  But as it, it certainly looks like there are more stalagmites than stalagtites.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2022, 08:43:00 pm »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2022, 08:45:05 pm »
https://natgeo1991exposed.blogspot.com/

That's what it looked like to me.  The "wedding cake" (that's what I call it) feature in the center of the picture does not make sense in the configuration published by the Nat. Geo.  It only makes sense if one turns the picture around 180 degrees.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2022, 08:45:06 pm »
Check out the brain on @Kamaji

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2022, 08:57:43 pm »
We're having fun now!

Okay, team, next brain teaser/IQ test.

Old English Riddle

As I was going to St. Ives
I met a man with seven wives.
Each wife had seven sacks,
Each sack had seven cats,
Each cat had seven kits.
Kits, cats, sacks, wives,
How many were going to St. Ives?

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2022, 09:13:37 pm »
0000 0001

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2022, 09:18:41 pm »
Here's one for you, @DeerSlayer

There is a house with three upstairs bedrooms.  Each has a ceiling fixture with a 100W bulb.  The wall switches for these three lights are located in the basement.  But none of the three are marked.

Your job is to determine which switch goes to which light.  You can flip the switches however you like.  But you only have one chance to go upstairs to check the status of the lights.  How do you correctly match each switch with each light?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2022, 09:24:38 pm »
We're having fun now!

Okay, team, next brain teaser/IQ test.

Old English Riddle

As I was going to St. Ives
I met a man with seven wives.
Each wife had seven sacks,
Each sack had seven cats,
Each cat had seven kits.
Kits, cats, sacks, wives,
How many were going to St. Ives?

Neither kits, cats, sacks, nor wives were going to St. Ives.  Only one person - the narrator - was definitely going to St. Ives.

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2022, 10:03:45 pm »
Here's one for you, @DeerSlayer

There is a house with three upstairs bedrooms.  Each has a ceiling fixture with a 100W bulb.  The wall switches for these three lights are located in the basement.  But none of the three are marked.

Your job is to determine which switch goes to which light.  You can flip the switches however you like.  But you only have one chance to go upstairs to check the status of the lights.  How do you correctly match each switch with each light?

You talkin' ta me? Are YOU talkin' ta me !!!
Way easy.  Turn Switch 1 on and leave it on.  Turn Switch 2 on for five minutes, clean up around the basement and turn Switch 2 off and run upstairs.
Light 1 is on. Light 2 is hot.  Light 3 is not.

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2022, 10:11:36 pm »
Neither kits, cats, sacks, nor wives were going to St. Ives.  Only one person - the narrator - was definitely going to St. Ives.

You are correct but you are wrong.
The riddle does not ask if the riddler was going to St. Ives.
It asks:  "Kits, cats, sacks, wives, How many (of those!) were going to St. Ives?"

I was cruising from Ft. Lauderdale to Los Angeles in 2013 when I pondered this lovely riddle and posed it to my poker buddies.  They all agreed with my analysis.
The reflexive "how many" refers to the immediately precedent subject.

Going through Panama, I won a big pot at six card hi/low Monte with a club wheel, ace through five, both ways.
Declare before showing.  One chip in your hand for low, two in your hand for high, three for both ways.  You have to win both ways or you lose.

The Overcrowded Prison

A prison was overcrowded, and the warden decided to release a prisoner by giving a test.
He had three prisoners brought to his office and explained his proposition.

"The guard behind you has a duffel bag with  5 hats in it.  Three are black and two are red.
He will place one hat on each of you from behind you.  If you can tell me the color of your hat, you will be released to go home.  But you must agree not to guess and if you guess wrong, you understand you will be shot immediately.  Agreed?" 
[No lose proposition.  All agree.  Hats are placed on the three.]
First prisoner looks at other two:  "I don't know."
Second prisoner looks at other two:  "I don't know."
Third prisoner is blind: "I know."

Does he or doesn't he?  Explain or you will be shot.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 10:22:05 pm by DeerSlayer »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2022, 10:13:37 pm »
You are correct but you are wrong.
The riddle does not ask if the riddler was going to St. Ives.
It asks:  "Kits, cats, sacks, wives, How many (of those!) were going to St. Ives?"

I was cruising from Ft. Lauderdale to Los Angeles in 2013 when I pondered this lovely riddle and posed it to my poker buddies.  They all agreed with my analysis.
The reflexive "how many" refers to the precedent subject.

Going through Panama, I won a big pot at six card hi/low Monte with a club wheel, ace through five, both ways.
Declare before showing.  One chip in your hand for low, two in your hand for high, three for both ways.  You have to win both ways or you lose.

It's correct that the riddle didn't ask about the narrator, only about the Kits, cats, sacks, wives; I answered that in the first clause of my answer, and then threw in the second clause as commentary, not additional answer.

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2022, 10:28:07 pm »
It's correct that the riddle didn't ask about the narrator, only about the Kits, cats, sacks, wives; I answered that in the first clause of my answer, and then threw in the second clause as commentary, not additional answer.

That was not clear.  I axed for an answer, not commentary.  This is a lotta work, yanno?

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2022, 11:16:58 pm »
We all learned that answer to the riddle when Zeus kept John McClane from giving the wrong answer in Die Hard with a Vengeance :silly:

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2022, 12:25:51 am »
We all learned that answer to the riddle when Zeus kept John McClane from giving the wrong answer in Die Hard with a Vengeance :silly:

I must have missed that part.  What about the blind prisoner?

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2022, 02:15:57 am »
Science IQ Test Number Four

Will a container of pure, distilled water freeze into solid ice at exactly zero degrees Celsius and standard pressure (760 Torr)?