Author Topic: Can the Parties Find a Way Forward on Immigration?  (Read 265 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Can the Parties Find a Way Forward on Immigration?
« on: November 06, 2022, 10:04:33 pm »
Can the Parties Find a Way Forward on Immigration?
November 6, 2022 at 5:31 am EST By Taegan Goddard 25 Comments

New York Times: “The false narrative, which resonates with voters across the country, is just one example of how toxic the issue of immigration has become. Republicans have stepped up attacks against President Biden as weak and ineffective on immigration, making it even more difficult for the Biden administration to secure any meaningful immigration reform after the midterm elections, especially if the G.O.P. controls at least one legislative chamber.”

“But even if Republicans win control in Congress and want to advance their immigration policies, particularly on border security, they will have to find some compromise with Democrats to overcome the 60-vote filibuster threshold in the Senate — something that has been elusive for years, regardless of party control.”

https://politicalwire.com/2022/11/06/can-the-parties-find-a-way-forward-on-immigration/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Can the Parties Find a Way Forward on Immigration?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2022, 10:11:31 pm »
NO but only because they have absolutely no desire to.  With immigration, both sides can bluster, accuse, blame, threaten, promise, and lie all they want.  It gives congress and opportunity to at least look the part of concerned legislators when, in fact, they could care less what happens. :reaper:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson