Author Topic: Rep. Maloney recalls 'eating Chef Boyardee' as kid during inflation talk, says it's 'what families h  (Read 1071 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
November 5, 2022 7:14pm EDT
Rep. Maloney recalls 'eating Chef Boyardee' as kid during inflation talk, says it's 'what families have to do'
Maloney was discussing inflation during an interview when he made the comments

By Adam Sabes | Fox News

Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee chairman Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney, D-N.Y., said during a late-October interview that his family would be "eating Chef Boyardee" when gas prices went up during his childhood, and said "that's what families have to do" if they find themselves in financial hardship.

"Hudson Valley residents are feeling pain at the pump and at grocery stores, what have you done and what do you plan to do to help solve our inflation problem?," Maloney was asked.

"Yeah, well, I grew up in a family where, you know, if the gas price went up, the food budget went down," Rep. Maloney said. "So by this time of the week, we'd be eating Chef Boyardee if that budget wasn't gonna change. So that's what families have to do, here's what we should do," Maloney said before discussing actions that he says would lower inflation.

"We're capping seniors' out-of-pocket costs in the Medicare program. That's a big deal. So now, only $2000 a year will come out-of-pocket rain or shine," Maloney said. "That allows seniors to budget. We're also negotiating, finally, in the Medicare program with the big prescription drug companies to lower the cost of everybody's prescription drugs. That's long overdue."

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rep-maloney-recalls-eating-chef-boyardee-kid-during-inflation-talk-says-what-families-have-do

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Wait, whoa. It was the Democrats who undid the deals Trump had cut with the pharmaceutical business to lower prescription costs, and that's part of why those costs are as high as they are now. Insulin comes to mind, for starters.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

Rep. Maloney recalls 'eating Chef Boyardee' as kid during inflation talk, says it's 'what families have to do'

Back then, we couldn't afford canned food.  We had to cook the pasta and then add spices to tomato sauce.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

Back then, we couldn't afford canned food.  We had to cook the pasta and then add spices to tomato sauce.
Mom made everything from scratch. Chef Boyardee was not only more expensive, it just wasn't as good.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Chef Boyardee?   That shit was canned dog food. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
So this is their answer for the high cost of food..feed your family Chef Boyardee...this is incredible..
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Smokin Joe

So this is their answer for the high cost of food..feed your family Chef Boyardee...this is incredible..
I watch prices, and have been for some time. The 98 cent (in January) can of the Chef's Ravioli now costs $1.34 now at the local Walmart, an increase of over 30% in the past year...

C S Lewis

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Democrat Campaign Chief to America: Eat Chef Boyardee to Offset High Gas Prices, Stomach Inflation

Democrat Campaign Chief Sean Patrick Maloney (D-NY) encouraged New York voters struggling to afford gas prices and groceries to eat Chef Boyardee to offset the record levels of inflation seen under President Joe Biden’s administration. “According to @spmaloney, Hudson Valley

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022/11/05/democrat-campaign-chief-to-america-eat-chef-boyardee-to-offset-high-gas-prices-stomach-inflation/
Support the USO

Offline Hoodat

Democrat Campaign Chief to America: Eat Chef Boyardee to Offset High Gas Prices, Stomach Inflation

When I was a teenager in the late 70s, inflation was a serious problem.  Basic food stuffs became unaffordable.  Even staples like hamburger became a luxury.

I had a friend who had a clerk job at the local IGA at the time.  One day, a woman came in and tried to buy some dog food with food stamps.  The manager explained to the woman that the law didn't allow them to accept food stamps for pet food purchases.  So she put the dog food back and went and got hamburger instead.  She said her dog liked that better anyway.

I have never forgotten that lesson on how the government treats people who try to be self-sufficient.  While hamburger remained a luxury at my house during that time, the taxes they took out of my after school job went to ensure that this woman's dog got to eat hamburger instead of dog food.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I'm an outlier, I like Chef Boy-Are-Dee.....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Hoodat

I like it, too.  Just couldn't afford it in the late 70s.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I like it, too.  Just couldn't afford it in the late 70s.

Not when Ramen is cheaper still.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Hoodat

Not when Ramen is cheaper still.

Ramen is one of the four basic food groups.  I still eat it when I travel because it is so easy to prepare which allows me to work through lunch.  But the ramen section at Wal-Mart is becoming scarce.  Another sign that the economy is faltering.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
So how many cans of Chef Boyardee would it take to feed a family?? I know one can would not feed one teenage boy!! It would probably be cheaper to buy a package of spaghetti noodles and some tomato sauce and make your own! .... Or better yet, take some hints from "Cooking with Clara" 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-GVl7scrYE
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 10:47:05 pm by Texas Yellow Rose »

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Can't stand it. Eating fresh out of the can with a spoon after a TEKE kegger ruined it for me.  Those little ravioli squares come up the same way they go down.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online LMAO

He’s probably trying the relatability “I feel your pain” tactic but this one falls flat
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online roamer_1

I actually started stocking it. Canned 'meat' is something I am focusing on to take the focus off the freezer.

However, I discarded Beefaroni almost immediately - It's too far down the suck list for me. I figured I could live with Spaghetti and meat balls  and Ravioli... And I can... A couple, three buttered slices of bread for dunking, and a can will make a meal. A pretty poor meal.

Anyhow, I am canning venison and venison burger... And the next beef I get at will wind up with quite a bit on the shelf instead of in the freezer.

And with that, Chef Boyardee has made a gentle exit. Two cans of Ravioli left.

Online mountaineer

Considering their answer to the coal miners whose jobs they destroyed was, "Learn to code," it's not very surprising. They are completely out of touch with reality, and completely devoid of compassion.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org