Author Topic: FAIR WINDS AND FOLLOWING SEAS TO THE NATIONAL DEFENSE SERVICE MEDAL  (Read 390 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
FAIR WINDS AND FOLLOWING SEAS TO THE NATIONAL DEFENSE SERVICE MEDAL
November 2, 2022 ·Carl Prine

Established on April 22, 1953, the National Defense Service Medal and accompanying ribbon are awarded for honorable active military service as a member of the US armed forces during the Korean War, Vietnam War, Persian Gulf War, and the Global War on Terror. The Pentagon won’t bestow any of these service medals or ribbons to troops entering the armed forces after Dec. 31, 2022. US Air Force photo.

The Pentagon is reminding service members that no National Defense Service Medals will be awarded to troops in 2023.

“Effective Dec. 31, 2022, the authorization to award the National Defense Service Medal to members of the US Armed Forces serving on active duty on or after Sept. 11, 2001, is terminated,” Pentagon spokesperson Cmdr. Nicole Schwegman said in an email to Coffee or Die Magazine. “Termination is based on the United States no longer conducting large-scale combat operations in designated geographic locations as a result of the terrorist attacks that occurred on Sept. 11, 2001. However, the Department of Defense still continues worldwide counterterrorism operations.”

That marks the end of an era.

It’s sometimes derided by service members as a blanket medal bestowed on all active-duty personnel, without criteria that include duty overseas or in combat. But for the past two decades, pinning the medal or its related ribbon on a military recruit’s chest signaled the end of entry-level training in the armed forces. 

https://www.coffeeordie.com/national-defense-service-medal
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: FAIR WINDS AND FOLLOWING SEAS TO THE NATIONAL DEFENSE SERVICE MEDAL
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 01:47:01 pm »

But for the past two decades, pinning the medal or its related ribbon on a military recruit’s chest signaled the end of entry-level training in the armed forces. 

Does that suggest the military will create a real geedunk medal for bootcamp graduation?
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 03:09:24 pm »

Does that suggest the military will create a real geedunk medal for bootcamp graduation?

@rangerrebew

Since the majority of those in the military never hear a shot fired more than once a year to qualify,but military is going to HAVE to come up with some sort of "participation badge" to replace it so that new Privates can feel like "one of the club".

It never really meant anything other than you had passed through basic training,but it caused no harm and made newbies feel like they were a part of something.

It is a "participation badge" and the military is going to have to come up with something to replace it if they get rid of it.

And really,doesn't our military and civilian leaders have more important Biden to be thinking about than "participation awards"?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 03:33:49 pm »

USAF has had the BMT Graduation ribbon for years.  I don't know about the other services.
Always thought this medal award was bunk...
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2022, 03:41:22 pm »
USAF has had the BMT Graduation ribbon for years.  I don't know about the other services.
Always thought this medal award was bunk...

@SZonian

Not really. These awards allow the typical recruit to  feel like he or she is a part of something big,and let's face it,the vast majority of the people serving in the US military never hear a shot fired other than at the annual mandatory weapons qualifications tests.

Giving them a few "doo-dahs" to pin to their dress uniforms and make them feel like  they are a part of something important IS important,and it costs no one a single damn thing.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!