Author Topic: Federal Reserve hikes interest rates by 75 basis points for fourth time this year  (Read 507 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Federal Reserve hikes interest rates by 75 basis points for fourth time this year
by Sylvan Lane - 11/02/22 2:00 PM ET

The Federal Reserve on Wednesday hiked interest rates by three-quarters of a percentage point, pressing even harder on the brakes of the economy in a scramble to slow inflation.

The Federal Open Market Committee, the panel of Fed officials responsible for monetary policy, boosted the central bank’s baseline interest rate range to a span of 3.75 to 4 percent. It is the fourth consecutive 75 basis point hike issued by the Fed and sixth interest rate increase since March.

As the Fed raises its baseline interest rate range, interest rates on mortgages, credit cards, and other loans rise as well. Higher borrowing costs tend to slow the economy as households and businesses have less money to spend on goods and services.

The Fed’s latest hike will add even more financial pressure to a resilient but slowing U.S. economy that some experts believe is on the precipice of recession.

The Fed’s rapid interest rate hikes have caused home sales to collapse and pushed businesses to pull back investment, two major forces that could slow the U.S. economy. Higher Fed interest rates also deepen economic turmoil abroad, which could boomerang on the U.S.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/3715979-federal-reserve-hikes-interest-rates-by-75-basis-points-for-fourth-time-this-year/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DefiantMassRINO

... still won't help food and utility bills, which are energy supply issues - not demand issues.

Energy demand could be reduced by turning off the country's fuel and electricity supplies for a few months.

If there is no supply to be had, there is nothing to consume.

Mass starvation would help reduce demand for food.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Last month my 401K started climbing back.  I guess I can kiss that good bye.  FJB.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

Last month my 401K started climbing back.  I guess I can kiss that good bye.  FJB.

We were seeing a bit of a bump up from what we had lost in our portfolio...now we'll see another nosedive.

FJB!!!!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Stock market is down today.

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️