Author Topic: AP source: Biden to float windfall tax on energy producers  (Read 890 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
AP source: Biden to float windfall tax on energy producers
« on: October 31, 2022, 05:26:22 pm »

AP source: Biden to float windfall tax on energy producers
By ZEKE MILLER and SEUNG MIN KIM, Associated Press - 1h ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden on Monday will raise the possibility of imposing a ‘windfall tax’ on energy companies, as his administration aims to combat high gas prices just days before the midterm elections.

The White House said Biden will deliver remarks to respond ”to reports over recent days of major oil companies making record-setting profits even as they refuse to help lower prices at the pump for the American people." A person familiar with the matter said Biden will float imposing a tax on the profits of energy companies, as he seeks to pressure them to lower prices for consumers. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity to preview Biden's remarks.

“Oil companies made billions in profits this quarter,” Biden tweeted on Saturday. “They’re using these record profits to pay out their wealthy shareholders instead of investing in production and lowering costs for Americans. It’s unacceptable. It’s time for these companies to bring down prices at the pump."

High prices at the pump have exacerbated inflation and have taken a toll on Biden and Democrats' standing among voters.

more
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ap-source-biden-to-float-windfall-tax-on-energy-producers/ar-AA13A9zu
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Re: AP source: Biden to float windfall tax on energy producers
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 05:26:53 pm »
Pulling another page from the Jimmy Carter book of failures.

Yeesh.

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2022, 05:34:01 pm »
 ////00000////

Doubling down on Jimmy Carter's failures is a recipe for success.  It will be different this time.

The oil companies are making record profits because the Green Agenda has constrained the supply of domestic energy - thereby creating scarcity, which creates value.

Energy producers would probably like to invest that money in new energy supply capital projects, but, the Biden admin won't approve any.

What happens when the SPR runs dry?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 05:42:57 pm »

Yeesh.

Maybe it’s our curse that every few decades, a new generation must experience the 1970s
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline LMAO

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 05:49:28 pm »
The president can suggest it, but a tax has to be voted on by Congress and I don’t think there’s the appetite even with the Democrat controlled Congress to pass it

Forget one even remotely passing after January 2023
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2022, 06:01:07 pm »

And Sarah Palin's  :whistle:

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2022, 07:54:57 pm »
Energy Companies should put out a Press Release stating that they look foward to the Biden Administration greenlighting their projects to bring more, reliable, affordable energy to Americans.

They should also include an extensive list of current projects being impeded by the Government.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 07:55:59 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2022, 08:00:48 pm »
////00000////

Doubling down on Jimmy Carter's failures is a recipe for success.  It will be different this time.

The oil companies are making record profits because the Green Agenda has constrained the supply of domestic energy - thereby creating scarcity, which creates value.

Energy producers would probably like to invest that money in new energy supply capital projects, but, the Biden admin won't approve any.

What happens when the SPR runs dry?
It isn't just constricting the supplies, it is limiting the leases on Federal land, offshore, and Alaska and making it harder to comply with new regulations that limits the investment in infrastructure (pipelines, processing facilities, refinery expansions) and future drilling (leases, preliminary studies, etc.) that makes profits seem fatter.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2022, 08:39:47 pm »
Is it any wonder that Joe Biden does not understand the difference between revenue and profits? Or that profits are never fully paid out to shareholders, but reinvested, especially when operating expenses rise dramatically (as they have for oil companies, thanks to Joe Biden)? Or that most shareholders are not wealthy fat cats but middle-class retirement plan owners? Or that companies don't pay taxes but instead collect them by passing the costs to their customers, business partners, and investors?

No, he doesn't know any of this because he is an 80-year old ignoramus who has no experience outside of government. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2022, 08:44:31 pm »
Is it any wonder that Joe Biden does not understand the difference between revenue and profits? Or that profits are never fully paid out to shareholders, but reinvested, especially when operating expenses rise dramatically (as they have for oil companies, thanks to Joe Biden)? Or that most shareholders are not wealthy fat cats but middle-class retirement plan owners? Or that companies don't pay taxes but instead collect them by passing the costs to their customers, business partners, and investors?

No, he doesn't know any of this because he is an 80-year old ignoramus who has no experience outside of government.

:yowsa: EXACTLY right! And not just the taxes themselves but ALL the costs of complying with them as well!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 08:46:53 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2022, 10:11:33 pm »
 Biden threatens oil companies with ‘higher tax’ if they don’t increase production
by Rachel Frazin - 10/31/22 5:04 PM ET

President Biden on Monday warned that oil companies would face a “higher tax” on their excess profits if they don’t reinvest in increasing production to bring down prices at the pump.

“They have a responsibility to act in the interest of their consumers, their community and their country, to invest in America by increasing production and refining capacity,” Biden said of the companies during a speech on Monday afternoon.

“If they don’t, they’re going to pay a higher tax on their excess profits and face other restrictions,” he added in the remarks from the White House just more than a week before the midterm elections.

Biden can’t unilaterally impose a tax on companies; he would need a new law to pass Congress. He pledged to work with the legislature to look at his options.

His comments come after ExxonMobil, Chevron and Shell reported high third-quarter earnings. The president name-checked both Exxon and Shell in his speech.

Legislation would face a tough path even in a Congress held by Democrats, since at least 10 GOP votes would now be needed to break a filibuster in the Senate.

Republicans are hoping the midterms will deliver GOP majorities in both chambers.

Gas prices soared earlier this year after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and Western and U.S. sanctions on Moscow, a major oil producer.

Biden and his allies have blamed Russian President Vladimir Putin for the high prices, and have also tried to pin the blame on the industry.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/3713013-biden-threatens-oil-companies-with-higher-tax-if-they-dont-increase-production/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online libertybele

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2022, 10:14:18 pm »
Back to the same ole liberal logic!    9999hair out0000 :thud: 888mouth
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2022, 10:52:59 pm »
Stupid POS.....

Why doesn't Pedo Joe go after APPL for windfall profits?  (Apple)

3Q 2022 Profits- 
===========

Chevron- $11.2B
ExxonMobil- $19.66B

Apple- $20.7B

Where was the same outrage back in 2020?

4Q 2020 P/L
===========
Chevron- $5.5 B LOSS
ExxonMobil- $20.1B- LOSS

Apple-  $44.32B PROFIT

Seems like selective left wing outrage to me!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 01:21:26 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2022, 11:16:44 pm »
Speaking of windfall profits, why is it that the government makes more profit off of the sale of oil and gas than do oil and gas companies?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2022, 11:50:12 pm »
Speaking of windfall profits, why is it that the government makes more profit off of the sale of oil and gas than do oil and gas companies?

:yowsa:  pointing-up
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2022, 01:15:01 am »
:yowsa:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2022, 01:27:42 am »
The real problem is 80 million voters think this is a great idea.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2022, 09:05:04 am »

:thumbsup: