Author Topic: Extremism among vets needs study and prevention, lawmakers warn  (Read 171 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Extremism among vets needs study and prevention, lawmakers warn
« on: October 30, 2022, 02:43:18 pm »
Extremism among vets needs study and prevention, lawmakers warn
By Leo Shane III
 Thursday, Oct 27

White nationalist protesters clash with counterprotesters at the entrance to Lee Park in Charlottesville, Va., on Aug. 12, 2017. (Steve Helber/AP)
Federal officials need to find new ways to study and prevent extremism among veterans before the problem becomes widespread, according to a new report released by Democratic lawmakers on the House Veterans’ Affairs Committee on Thursday.

“Acknowledging the unfortunate reality that violent extremism is a small but growing threat among the U.S. veteran population does not impugn all veterans,” the report states. “Rather, ignoring the threat of veteran-involved violent extremism does a disservice to those who continue to support and defend the Constitution … following their military service.”

The report follows a series of hearings and inquiries by the committee over the last year into the issue of extremism and radicalization.

According to their findings, veterans have been involved in about 10% of all domestic terrorist plots and attacks in the last seven years. Over the last 30 years, individuals with military backgrounds killed 314 individuals and injured nearly 2,000 others in violence rooted in extremist ideology.

https://www.militarytimes.com/veterans/2022/10/27/extremism-among-vets-needs-study-and-prevention-lawmakers-warn/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Extremism among vets needs study and prevention, lawmakers warn
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 02:47:46 pm »
Extremism among government leaders needs study and prevention, I warn.  With the wrong leadership from congress, the POTUS, and Supreme Court, extremism from ex-military will always exist.  But that is what our current government wants (or is paid to want) so it can take over policing of the people. :police:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson