Author Topic: Column: Crossing America one step at a time  (Read 176 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Column: Crossing America one step at a time
« on: October 26, 2022, 01:15:26 pm »
Column: Crossing America one step at a time

BY DIANE BELLCOLUMNIST
OCT. 25, 2022 5:30 AM PT

It was inevitable that folks compared Army combat veteran Kenny Mintz to Forrest Gump when Mintz traversed U.S. back roads from coast to coast.

But there are major differences.

Gump embarked on his journey to find himself. Mintz had a specific mission — raising money for three charities: two serving military-related causes and a third for pancreatic cancer as a tribute of his late mother.

Gump ran mostly in silence, while Mintz’s battle cry was “Come walk with me,” and he relished his many conversations. His journey was to meet the American people he had served.

Gump ran. Mintz walked, savoring unexpected encounters with a mountain lion and her cub, antelope, elk, mule deer and a mountain goat near Borrego Springs as he neared his final destination in Encinitas on Oct. 22.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/columnists/story/2022-10-25/column-crossing-america-one-step-at-a-time
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Kamaji

Re: Column: Crossing America one step at a time
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2022, 01:17:08 pm »
Wow.  I've fantasized about doing that as well - walking across America - but it's not a realistic goal for me, unfortunately.

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Column: Crossing America one step at a time
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2022, 01:21:17 pm »
It's amazing how people like this served in an organization that believes if women just killed more babies, recruiting would be better. *hmmmm* 
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson