Author Topic: NYU Professor: New York’s Migrant Problem Goes Far Beyond Mayor’s Rhetoric  (Read 262 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
NYU Professor: New York’s Migrant Problem Goes Far Beyond Mayor’s Rhetoric
October 17, 2022

NYU Professor Mead, His Book Cover, Statue of Liberty Sinking, Mayor Adams, B
While New York City Mayor Eric Adams complains about migrants from the southern border disembarking in his town, a New York University (NYU) professor says mass immigration is undermining America’s individualist ethos and weakening this country’s body politic.

Lawrence Mead, expounding on his book, “Burdens of Freedom: Cultural Difference and American Power,” recommends halting all illegal immigration and reducing legal immigration by half.

“The main problem with immigration isn’t the things we most often discuss, about crime, welfare, cost to government and so on,” says the professor of politics and policy. “The really big issue is cultural difference,” emphasizing the imperative of assimilating immigrants into the mainstream culture that made the United States a country that makes it such a desirable place to live for so many around the world.

https://www.fairus.org/blog/2022/10/17/nyu-professor-new-yorks-migrant-problem-goes-far-beyond-mayors-rhetoric
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
The democrats undermined assimilation decades ago, there is no longer any imperative or reason for immigrants to assimilate. Starting with bi-lingual education where English peaking children were penalized, making everything available in God knows how many languages so no one has to learn English which I thought was insane at the DMV and many other things that kinda of required immigrants to assimilate in the past. It used to be that immigrants pushed their kids to learn English and become Americanized so that they could be successful and advance, not so much anymore. I recall decades ago Westminster, Ca had to pass a n ordinance that businesses in their Little Saigon had to put the business names in English too because residents were irritated that no one but Vietnamese had a clue what was going on there.