Author Topic: Liz Truss resigns as UK prime minister  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Liz Truss resigns as UK prime minister
« on: October 20, 2022, 12:42:18 pm »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
Re: Liz Truss resigns as UK prime minister
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 12:44:01 pm »
Summary

Prime Minister Liz Truss has resigned as UK prime minister in a statement outside Downing Street

She said she could not deliver the mandate she was elected and had notified the King that she was resigning as Tory leader

There will be Conservative leadership election to be completed within the next week, she says
It comes after she met the chairman of the 1922 Committee of backbench MPs as more Tories called for her to quit

Truss's premiership came under renewed pressure after the home secretary resigned and a chaotic vote on fracking

There was fury on Wednesday evening around the vote and the methods used to get MPs to vote with the government

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-politics-63309400

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 12:45:26 pm »
Totally unrelated

It was weird to hear her say “His Majesty The King”

Online Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 12:50:06 pm »
Wow.  That was fast.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 01:12:27 pm »
Yikes.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2022, 01:15:26 pm »
Should have been the route taken by Joe Biden back in 2021.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2022, 01:20:53 pm »
She folded like a cheap walmart lawn chair.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2022, 01:51:16 pm »
She folded like a cheap walmart lawn chair.

Or a soft taco.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2022, 02:03:09 pm »
This is what happens when you no longer hold the world's reserve currency.  The US has a much worse fiscal situation than anything in north or eastern europe, so our turn is sooner than people think.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2022, 02:05:59 pm »
Is the UK the new Italy - a new government every few weeks?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2022, 02:14:35 pm »
The situation with the Tories is not dissimilar to the situation in the GOP. There is a large faction of globalists (including, perhaps, Liz Truss) who want to go back into the EU. And then there is a large faction of isolationists who are anti-immigration and anti-globalism.  The differences between these two factions is irreconcilable, so they are unable to settle on a leader.

Boris Johnson may well end up coming back because he might be the only person capable of running the government and keeping his party together at this point.  He resigned over scandals that by our standards seem tame.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2022, 02:15:14 pm »
If the US had had a parliamentary system, Joe Biden would have been long gone by now. Hard to fault a system as swift as theirs. No confidence is hard to overcome.

You know, for all our talk about our better system, why would it take so long to correct an error like the Biden administration? It was illegitimately installed, with obviously impaired puppet leadership. Biden has been a total disaster for Americans—and democrats don’t seem to care enough to do anything about it while republicans are too feckless to make a difference.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2022, 02:21:48 pm »
The situation with the Tories is not dissimilar to the situation in the GOP. There is a large faction of globalists (including, perhaps, Liz Truss) who want to go back into the EU. And then there is a large faction of isolationists who are anti-immigration and anti-globalism.  The differences between these two factions is irreconcilable, so they are unable to settle on a leader.

Boris Johnson may well end up coming back because he might be the only person capable of running the government and keeping his party together at this point.  He resigned over scandals that by our standards seem tame.

That would be - from the outside looking in - seriously funny in a way.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2022, 02:22:47 pm »
Office of Prime Minister has existed in the UK since 1721.

Liz Trust tenure was the second shortest in Kingdom history at 45 days.

That record is owned by the Second  Term of Arthur Wellsley, 1st Duke of Wellington (1769-1852) who had then office 23 days in 1834, (before QV).  The big deal here is though this short term was due to change in political majority party from Tories to Conservatives.

This event is pretty unprecedented as far as I know considering considering there has been no offical MP political realignment.  I'd say the UK is in some pretty deep shit.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2022, 02:26:12 pm »
That would be - from the outside looking in - seriously funny in a way.

I have a very good friend in Britain who weeks ago told me that Boris Johnson resigned because he knew this would happen. Now it remains to be seen whether the rest of her prediction (that he will be re-installed with broad consensus of the Tories) plays out.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2022, 02:27:03 pm »
This is what happens when you no longer hold the world's reserve currency.  The US has a much worse fiscal situation than anything in north or eastern europe, so our turn is sooner than people think.

Been screaming this at a 100 db for ages.  My projection is after the upcomng severe recession, we will be near or at 150% debt to GDP ratio.

When this house of cards falls, this country will be inproportionally adversely impacted. I mean it is going to get ugly.  Really ugly.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2022, 02:32:57 pm »
I have a very good friend in Britain who weeks ago told me that Boris Johnson resigned because he knew this would happen. Now it remains to be seen whether the rest of her prediction (that he will be re-installed with broad consensus of the Tories) plays out.

That would be interesting.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2022, 06:14:58 pm »
Been screaming this at a 100 db for ages.  My projection is after the upcomng severe recession, we will be near or at 150% debt to GDP ratio.

When this house of cards falls, this country will be inproportionally adversely impacted. I mean it is going to get ugly.  Really ugly.

It's going to get worse than ugly. There will be people killing each other over a loaf of bread,the homeless will be invading homes in order to have a dry place to sleep out of the wind,abandoned cars will be scattered all over the place because their will be no gas stations open,hospitals will have armed guards,etc,etc,etc.

The "original Depression" will be a joke compared to this one because people back then were used to starving or thriving on their own,and the generations living now has many,many members who have never had a job in their lives that didn't involve selling drugs or stolen items for "side money til may next gooberment check bees coming in."
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2022, 07:34:20 pm »
Truss's premiership came under renewed pressure after the home secretary resigned and a chaotic vote on fracking

Sad, because she seemed to get that the future for UK's energy lies in natural gas and not renewables, and was moving things in the direction of producing more North Sea Oil and Gas, which would have helped. 
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2022, 09:26:51 pm »
Joe wrote (of Truss):
"Sad, because she seemed to get that the future for UK's energy lies in natural gas and not renewables, and was moving things in the direction of producing more North Sea Oil and Gas, which would have helped."

Didn't she also propose lowering income tax rates as well?

Folks, what did this woman DO that was "un-conservative" in extremis?

Quite to the contrary, she actually seemed to be promoting a more conservative path for the UK. Is this not what the leader of the "conservatives" is SUPPOSED to do?

Color me... confused.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2022, 09:33:32 pm »
Office of Prime Minister has existed in the UK since 1721.

Liz Trust tenure was the second shortest in Kingdom history at 45 days.

That record is owned by the Second  Term of Arthur Wellsley, 1st Duke of Wellington (1769-1852) who had then office 23 days in 1834, (before QV).  The big deal here is though this short term was due to change in political majority party from Tories to Conservatives.

This event is pretty unprecedented as far as I know considering considering there has been no offical MP political realignment. I'd say the UK is in some pretty deep shit.

The U.S. is also in some pretty deep schit.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2022, 11:19:17 pm »
So. Boris is next in line?   What a country!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2022, 11:27:24 pm »
Joe wrote (of Truss):
"Sad, because she seemed to get that the future for UK's energy lies in natural gas and not renewables, and was moving things in the direction of producing more North Sea Oil and Gas, which would have helped."

Didn't she also propose lowering income tax rates as well?

Folks, what did this woman DO that was "un-conservative" in extremis?

Quite to the contrary, she actually seemed to be promoting a more conservative path for the UK. Is this not what the leader of the "conservatives" is SUPPOSED to do?

Color me... confused.
Me, too. For that political moment, it looked like the UK was on the right track. That was a glimmer of hope in a world given to Marxists and special interests.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2022, 11:40:49 pm »
Me, too. For that political moment, it looked like the UK was on the right track. That was a glimmer of hope in a world given to Marxists and special interests.

Looks to me that the political elites in London aren't much different than those in D. C. i.e. It's fine to TALK a conservative game but actually DOING conservative things is verboten!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2022, 11:49:45 pm »

@Smokin Joe

The UK has been flooded with Muslim parasites,and these parasites vote. The Mayor of Longon is a Muslim.

These people do NOT believe in individual freedoms or thoughts,and they punish people that don't "wear red and march in a straight line".

They WANT to be cogs in a machine and told what to do and think.

Also,I have read that there are now districts in London where Sharia Law is the rule,and that traffic is even required to stop and the drivers get out and get on their knees in prayer.

I do not know if this is true or not,but I have even read that the British allows these people to live and rule by Sharia Law,and not English law. They have religious police walking the streets to enforce these rules and to publicly physically punish anyone caught breaking them.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!