Author Topic: Immigration Courts Duped 100 Times by Disgraced Immigration Lawyer  (Read 274 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Immigration Courts Duped 100 Times by Disgraced Immigration Lawyer 

By David North on October 19, 2022

Sometimes you have to read a government press release very carefully to get the whole story, particularly when the government has been hoodwinked.

The ICE press release headline sounds very positive: “HSI [Homeland Security Investigations] investigation results in arrest of 2 men for involvement in attorney impersonation scheme”.

What happened is a tale of highly successful deviousness set in motion by two San Antonio immigration lawyers that must have gone on for a couple of years before the feds stumbled on to it. The two lawyers are Jose Maria Guerrero, 68, and his slightly older colleague, Rodolfo Solis Zepada, 75. Guerrero had resigned from the practice of law in 2016 rather than face a disciplinary action — no details were offered on this in the release. Zepada was still an active member of the bar with, apparently, a plethora of clients, including many illegal aliens.

If Zepada had more than he could handle in immigration courts that sometimes allow lawyers to phone in their arguments, why not have Guerrero impersonate him over the phone? They worked out a deal to do just that and, according to the release, “HSI agents identified at least 100 different occasions” when it happened.

https://cis.org/North/Immigration-Courts-Duped-100-Times-Disgraced-Immigration-Lawyer
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rustynail

Re: Immigration Courts Duped 100 Times by Disgraced Immigration Lawyer
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 05:35:19 pm »
The House votes by proxy why can't these  attorneys lawyer by proxy?

Offline Kamaji

Re: Immigration Courts Duped 100 Times by Disgraced Immigration Lawyer
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 06:11:52 pm »
The House votes by proxy why can't these  attorneys lawyer by proxy?

If the lawyer acting as proxy was still a member of the bar in good standing, then he could have stepped in to handle the overflow of the other attorney's work; the problem was that the lawyer acting as proxy in this case had resigned from the bar rather than face disciplinary action (which is usually an admission that (a) he did what he's accused of having done, and (b) it would be a disbarrable offense).  As such, he was not permitted to act as a proxy for another lawyer.