Author Topic: Randall’s Island tent city is ready to welcome asylum-seekers  (Read 256 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Randall’s Island tent city is ready to welcome asylum-seekers
« on: October 19, 2022, 05:12:47 pm »
Randall’s Island tent city is ready to welcome asylum-seekers
The emergency shelter will open with room for up to 500 adult men for short-term stays.

By SAHALIE DONALDSON | OCTOBER 18, 2022 05:56 PM ET
Starting Wednesday, the sweeping tent complex in a Randall’s Island parking lot will begin temporarily sheltering newly arrived asylum-seekers as they get their bearings in a new city while receiving services like food, medical care, legal help and chart their next steps.

Unfurling the first of the city’s Humanitarian Emergency Response and Relief Centers has been a long and costly process: the site – currently set up to shelter 500 adult men but that number could rise to 1,000 in the future – was originally planned for a coastal parking lot at Orchard Beach in the Bronx, however, those plans shifted after a rainstorm underscored the parking lot’s flood-prone conditions. During a Tuesday walkthrough of the new location just outside of Icahn Stadium, city leaders said moving and setting up the new center cost around $650,000. The rest of the cost of the city’s ongoing response to the influx of asylum-seekers, according to New York City Emergency Management Commissioner Zach Iscol, is still being analyzed. It’s likely to be high however – earlier this month New York City Mayor Eric Adams said the city was on track to spend at least $1 billion by the end of the fiscal year.

https://www.cityandstateny.com/politics/2022/10/randalls-island-tent-city-ready-welcome-asylum-seekers/378605/
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 05:13:37 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Randall’s Island tent city is ready to welcome asylum-seekers
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 05:16:44 pm »
If the government thinks high school high school boys and girls showering together is no problem, then illegals sleeping together should be a no brainer.  This is sexism, purely and simply. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Randall’s Island tent city is ready to welcome asylum-seekers
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 05:22:57 pm »
October 19, 2022 11:39am EDT
First migrants in NYC arrive at tent shelter with 500 beds, big-screen TVs, Xbox systems
Randall's Island shelter in NYC opens as temporary processing center for migrants arriving from border states

By Julia Musto | Fox News

Tent shelters built on New York City's Randall's Island will open their doors to migrants on Wednesday.

The center is intended to be a temporary waystation for single men who were bussed into the city from southern border states.

The tents include cots for up to 500 people, laundry facilities, a cafeteria, phones and entertainment centers.

More than 18,000 asylum seekers have arrived in the Big Apple since the spring, putting a major strain on the city's homeless shelter system.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nyc-opens-tent-shelters-migrants
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34