Author Topic: F-16s intercept Russian bombers flying near Alaska  (Read 165 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
F-16s intercept Russian bombers flying near Alaska
« on: October 19, 2022, 11:38:37 am »
F-16s intercept Russian bombers flying near Alaska
By COREY DICKSTEIN
STARS AND STRIPES • October 18, 2022

The United States scrambled a pair of fighter jets Monday to intercept two Russian bombers flying in international airspace off the coast of Alaska, U.S. military officials said.

The U.S. Air Force F-16 fighter jets intercepted the Russian Tu-95 Bear-H bombers after they were “detected, tracked [and] positively identified” entering the Alaskan Air Defense Identification Zone by the North American Aerospace Defense Command. The intercept ended without incident and was not considered a threat or a military provocation, according to the statement issued Tuesday from NORAD, a joint U.S.-Canadian command charged with defending those nations’ airspace.

Air Force Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder, the Pentagon’s top spokesman, said the incident remained safe and professional and noted such interactions over international waters near Alaska occur regularly.

https://www.stripes.com/branches/air_force/2022-10-18/russian-bombers-alaska-american-jets-7735230.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: F-16s intercept Russian bombers flying near Alaska
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 11:43:07 am »
The first time I saw one of these was in early 1974 as we transited to the South China Sea.  1,000 sailors gathered on the flight deck to flip it off. 8888forgot
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson