Author Topic: World leaders not invited to attend critical UN biodiversity summit  (Read 161 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
World leaders not invited to attend critical UN biodiversity summit

Published on 05/10/2022, 4:37pm
Tense relations between the Chinese presidency and host nation Canada put a “Paris Agreement for nature” further out of reach

By Chloé Farand

Heads of government haven’t been invited to attend an important biodiversity summit in Canada, raising concerns nature is slipping down the global agenda amid fraught geopolitical relations.

The biodiversity conference, or Cop15, is a moment for countries to agree on a global framework to halt the destruction of nature by the end of this decade. Negotiators meet in Montreal, Canada, 7-19 December, to finalise the deal, widely billed as the “Paris Agreement for nature”.

But after four years of talks, the issue has failed to gain the attention of world leaders. First the coronavirus pandemic, then Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and soaring inflation pushed nature conservation down the agenda.

https://www.climatechangenews.com/2022/10/05/world-leaders-not-invited-to-attend-critical-un-biodiversity-summit/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson