Author Topic: Blackouts may be imposed on cold weekday evenings, National Grid chief warns  (Read 339 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Blackouts may be imposed on cold weekday evenings, National Grid chief warns
Sky News, Oct 18, 2022

The head of Britain's electricity and gas systems' operator has told households to prepare for blackouts between 4pm and 7pm on weekdays during "really, really cold" days in January and February if gas imports are reduced.

John Pettigrew, the National Grid chief, said blackouts would have to be imposed during the "deepest darkest evenings" in January and February if electricity generators did not have enough gas to meet demand, especially if there is a period of cold weather.

[...]

Britain gets 40% of its electricity from gas-fired power stations while gas heats the vast majority of homes.

Although Britain does not import gas from Russian, it does import electricity and gas from European countries that rely on Russian gas.

https://news.sky.com/story/prepare-for-blackouts-on-cold-weekday-evenings-national-grid-chief-warns-12723349

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Will the new king give a speech about the need to go green by eliminating natural gas and other oil based fuels to save Gaia and how the Brits need to keep a stiff upper lip while they freeze to death for the good of their green mother?

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
This green movement is nothing more than one more approach to destroy humanity.  Climate change is pure nonsense.  I have yet to hear one credible scientist defend climate change, I have heard half a dozen that were very credible explain why it is a hoax.  And I am sorry, no pimple faced teen from Sweden that has been emotionally abused by her parents does not count.  I consider the kid a tool.  And Al Gore is a self serving political hack. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Will the new king give a speech about the need to go green by eliminating natural gas and other oil based fuels to save Gaia and how the Brits need to keep a stiff upper lip while they freeze to death for the good of their green mother?
No matter, the new PM not only lifted the ban on fraccing, but there are a large number of lease blocks in the North Sea now open to be bid on. That won't help much this winter, but by next, hopefully, the UK should find some relief.  At least there is an adult at 10 Downing Street.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis