Author Topic: McCarthy says if he doesn’t win Speakership, it’s ‘not God’s plan’  (Read 569 times)

Offline corbe

McCarthy says if he doesn’t win Speakership, it’s ‘not God’s plan’

BY EMILY BROOKS - 10/17/22 9:31 AM ET

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) is expressing extreme confidence in his chances of becoming Speaker next year if Republicans win control of the House in the midterm elections, suggesting that divine intervention is the only thing that can keep him from the gavel.

McCarthy said in an interview with Punchbowl News published Monday that he believes he can win the votes of the House Republican Conference no matter how large a GOP majority is, that the prospect of losing does not keep him up at night, and that if he doesn’t win, it wasn’t in “God’s plan.”

“I think I can win with any seat majority,” McCarthy said. “If I’m even up for Speaker, that means we won seats. I’ve been [the top House Republican for] two cycles. I’ve never lost seats, I’ve only won.”

Republican insiders privately muse that McCarthy could have a harder time winning a Speakership vote if Republicans gain only a slim majority.

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3692460-mccarthy-says-if-he-doesnt-win-speakership-its-not-gods-plan/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Killer Clouds

If the republicants take back the house I hope enough of them wake up enough to not put McCarthy in as speaker. The idiot is a RINO.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I hope that God thinks otherwise...

Online Hoodat

Just for one day, I want Donald Trump elected Speaker.  After that, I prefer Jeffords, Boebert, or MTG.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline bilo

Just for one day, I want Donald Trump elected Speaker.  After that, I prefer Jeffords, Boebert, or MTG.

I like Gaetz
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online Hoodat

I like Gaetz

Or Gaetz.  But I would give anything to make Pelosi hand the gavel off to Speaker Trump, if only for a day.  With a cadre of aids in tow giving the Speaker's chair a deep clean with disinfectant.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Jim Jordan.

Offline Killer Clouds

Jim Jordan.
Jim Jordan said he supports McCarthy for speaker. No for Jordan because of it.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Jim Jordan said he supports McCarthy for speaker. No for Jordan because of it.

Yes he did---back in the Spring.  IIRC, he didn't want this to be a campaign issue.  I'm willing to see what happens in December. 

Offline Killer Clouds

Yes he did---back in the Spring.  IIRC, he didn't want this to be a campaign issue.  I'm willing to see what happens in December.
The bottom line is we have no control over what they do anyway.