Author Topic: 'Beware the 'wokes'': John Cleese to host new show that pushes back on cancel culture  (Read 312 times)

Offline mountaineer

'Beware the 'wokes'': John Cleese to host new show that pushes back on cancel culture
by Heather Hamilton, Social Media Reporter
October 11, 2022 10:14 AM
Comedian John Cleese announced he will host a new show on cancel culture and “people who believe [they] are purer than they actually are.”

However, the Monty Python actor warned that the “wokes" will likely cancel the show set to air on GB News, a United Kingdom news channel — one Cleese calls “a free speech channel.”

"I don't know much about modern television because I've pretty much given up on it — I mean English television," Cleese said Monday while speaking on BBC Radio 4's Today program. "Then, I met one or two of the people concerned, and I had a dinner with them and liked them very much. People say it's a right-wing channel; it's a free speech channel."

Cleese said woke ideology is a threat to society but noted that it is “well, in America, worse” than in the U.K. He admitted that he has also “kind of lost interest” in British politics since the Brexit debates, saying the country "sunk to the lowest intellectual level I can ever remember.”

He noted that his new show would afford him the opportunity to discuss unfamiliar topics with his audience while pointing out that he would be canceled if his show was on the BBC.  ...
Washington Examiner
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

'Monty Python's John Cleese a 'Liberal' Despite Right-Leaning Network Gig
By Ryan Smith On 10/10/22 at 9:22 AM EDT
Monty Python star John Cleese has called himself an "old-fashioned liberal" while announcing that he's launching a show on a right-leaning British TV network.

The comedian, 82, signed up to host a new show in 2023 on GB News, a network that features a mix of news and opinion and has been widely described as taking on a conservative stance in its programming since its June 2021 launch.

Cleese made the announcement during an appearance on the BBC Radio 4 show Today, with the new gig marking his first stint on British screens since appearing on the sitcom Hold the Sunset in 2019. ...
Newsweek

Gee, sounds like someone was really worried. Perhaps the writer is unaware that a "classical liberal" very much believes in freedom of speech.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org