Author Topic: LITHIUM mining for electric vehicles is incredibly destructive to the environment and about as far f  (Read 226 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
LITHIUM mining for electric vehicles is incredibly destructive to the environment and about as far from "green" as you can imagine

OCTOBER 13, 2022
tags: lithium
By Paul Homewood

There’s nothing new here, but it acts as a good reminder of just bad lithium mining is for the environment:

Electric vehicles are promoted as the solution for combating “climate change.” Governments are currently incentivizing the production of electric vehicles, while punishing the fossil fuel industry. However, lithium mining for electric vehicles is incredibly destructive to the environment, and is about as far from “green” as one could imagine. Not to mention, most of the lithium-ion batteries produced today come from China and require water-intensive mining operations that ravage natural environments throughout Australia, Argentina and Chile. The process depletes ground water, and leaves behind toxic wastewater that contaminates fields and harms wildlife. The mining process is not carbon dioxide free, either. The mining process releases 15,000 kilograms of carbon dioxide emissions for every ton of lithium that is extracted.

There are serious environmental risks to extracting lithium for the production of lithium-ion batteries

When lithium is extracted from salt mines, the miners must drill into the salt flats and pump out a salty, mineral-rich brine. The brine is placed in large pools, so the water can evaporate out. When the brine evaporates, it leaves behind a sludge of potassium, manganese, borax and lithium salts that must be filtered out further. The process pollutes nearby aquifers and lowers the water table, interfering with water sources in the local environment.

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2022/10/13/lithium-mining-for-electric-vehicles-is-incredibly-destructive-to-the-environment-and-about-as-far-from-green-as-you-can-imagine/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

No $h!t, Sherlock.

But it is destructive to 2nd and 3rd World brown people's enviroments on the bottom half of the World, so, by the rules of Limousine Liberal NIMBYism, it's righteous.

So let the smug hypocrisy be written by Al Gore, so, let it be done by John Kerry.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
It is one of the great mysteries why the green movement in general is not actively campaigning against this.

No mystery at all. They put windmills elsewhere, the electricity for their EVs is generated elsewhere, the materials are mined elsewhere, the fabrication takes place elsewhere.

Everything is somewhere else, outside their sanctimonious 'green' bubble.

'Eff all the 'little people', full steam electric ahead!'
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis