Author Topic: White House is pushing ahead research to cool Earth by reflecting back sunlight  (Read 814 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
CNBC by Catherine Clifford 10/13/2022

Key Points

•   The White House Office of Science and Technology Policy is coordinating a five-year research plan to study ways of modifying the amount of sunlight that reaches the Earth in order to temporarily temper the effects of global warming.

•   There are several kinds of sunlight-reflection technology being considered, including stratospheric aerosol injection, marine cloud brightening and cirrus cloud thinning.

•   Stratospheric aerosol injection involves spraying an aerosol like sulfur dioxide into the stratosphere, and because it has the potential to affect the entire globe, often gets the most attention.

•   While arguments of moral hazard have handicapped research efforts, the idea is getting more urgent attention in the worsening climate crisis.

The White House is coordinating a five-year research plan to study ways of modifying the amount of sunlight that reaches the earth to temper the effects of global warming, a process sometimes called solar geoengineering or sunlight reflection.

The research plan will assess climate interventions, including spraying aerosols into the stratosphere to reflect sunlight back into space, and should include goals for research, what’s necessary to analyze the atmosphere, and what impact these kinds of climate interventions may have on Earth, according to the White House’s Office of Science and Technology Policy. Congress directed the research plan be produced in its spending plan for 2022, which President Joe Biden signed in March.

Some of the techniques, such as spraying sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere, are known to have harmful effects on the environment and human health. But scientists and climate leaders who are concerned that humanity will overshoot its emissions targets say research is important to figure out how best to balance these risks against a possibly catastrophic rise in the Earth’s temperature.

Getting ready to research a topic is a very preliminary step, but it’s notable the White House is formally engaging with what has largely been seen as the stuff of dystopian fantasy. In Kim Stanley Robinson’s science fiction novel, “The Ministry for the Future,” a heat wave in India kills 20 million people and out of desperation, India decides to implement its own strategy of limiting the sunlight that gets to Earth.

Chris Sacca, the founder of climate tech investment fund Lowercarbon Capital, said it’s prudent for the White House to be spearheading the research effort.

More: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/13/what-is-solar-geoengineering-sunlight-reflection-risks-and-benefits.html

Offline aligncare

Lunacy conceived by lunatics—without any tangible evidence it’s even necessary; and, an infuriating waste of public money—without the public’s consent. If they are going to do something this asinine there should be legislative approval for it.

Offline mountaineer

It's so hard to tell whether this is pure insanity, or insanity with a large dose of evil.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Given their penchant for population reduction, I trust this about as much as Vinnie and Tommy telling the cops they only do interest free loans.
The Republic is lost.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
A solution in search of a problem?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
A solution in search of a problem?
Worse. A problem presented as a solution for something that isn't a problem.

But I bet they haven't considered that a reduction in sunlight means a reduction in photosynthesis, which means less food from the bottom of the food chain upwards.

(or have they?)

But to produce the same amount of food, more 'fossil fuels' would have to be consumed, adding more 'greenhouse gases'.

In the meantime, people starve, shivering in the dark.

P.S. Chemtrails, anyone?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline LMAO

I remember during the 1970s, when global cooling was all the rage and the next Ice Age was just around the corner, there were some scientists talking about doing things like putting soot on the ice caps to absorb more sun and prevent the next Ice Age or delay it
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 10:49:40 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline EdinVA

The estimated price tag has gone up since then. The current estimate is that it would cost $10 billion per year to run a program that cools the Earth by 1 degree Celsius

meh... a drop in the bucket... I am sure we can spend more than that...   *****rollingeyes*****

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I can't imagine anything worse than a bunch of religious fanatics that don't actually know how the Earth works implementing insane experiments that affect a large segment of the Earth's population. This is just a recycled idea by a bunch of morons sucking at the government teat.

Online DefiantMassRINO

There is no climate crisis.  The climate is fine.  These nitwits cannot accept than mankind is not the ulitmate omnipotent power in the universe.

That money would be better spent on more resiliant building codes, infrastructure, and restoration of natural elements that mitigate natural disaster damage.

////00000////

If they want to cool the Earth, all they have to do is nuke some volcanoes.  We've already paid for the nukes (sunk cost).  The television tells me that a Yellowstone Super-Eruption would do the job.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Online Hoodat

So the White House is admitting that sunlight causes global warming, and not the oil industry?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Just one more way to drain the public treasury into private pockets.  :yawn2:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline BellyAche

Stratospheric aerosol injection involves spraying an aerosol like sulfur dioxide into the stratosphere, and because it has the potential to affect the entire globe, often gets the most attention. ?????   What?????

We'd all be guinea pigs!!! (Unless we are already?)

Re-stock (check expiration dates) your bunkers! 
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt

Online Hoodat

Stratospheric aerosol injection involves spraying an aerosol like sulfur dioxide into the stratosphere, and because it has the potential to affect the entire globe, often gets the most attention. ?????   What?????

These same leftist idiots have been fighting against SO2 emissions for decades, at least in the US.  In China, not so much.

Not only is SO2 a greenhouse gas, it turns to acid when contacting water.  Leftist idiots.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
GT:
"I can't imagine anything worse than a bunch of religious fanatics that don't actually know how the Earth works implementing insane experiments that affect a large segment of the Earth's population"

For an interesting film about the consequences of an attempt to prevent global "warming", see the film "Snowpiercer".

It can be "found", if you know where to "look".

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
mountaineer:
It's so hard to tell whether this is pure insanity, or insanity with a large dose of evil.

As this 'harmless' experiment could succeed in doubling the temperatures on planet earth, wiping out all life on the then desert planet.  It fits right in with the globalist culling the human herd, except more like exterminating said herd.  Bill Gates could even finance most of it, as it advances his agenda for humanity.  Planet ZERO, (of human life)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 01:50:00 am by christian »
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions