Author Topic: 96-year-old WWII Veteran survives Ian in a trailer  (Read 269 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
96-year-old WWII Veteran survives Ian in a trailer
« on: October 13, 2022, 12:11:44 pm »
96-year-old WWII Veteran survives Ian in a trailer
REPORTER:
ANDREA GUERRERO
WRITER:
PAUL DOLAN
PUBLISHED: OCTOBER 12, 2022 6:57 PM EDT
UPDATED: OCTOBER 13, 2022 8:08 AM EDT

NAPLES
A 96-year-old WWII veteran survived Hurricane Ian in his flooded trailer.

Walter was not going to let Ian get the best of him. His belongings, on the other hand, didn’t fare as well.

WINK News met Walter back in February on his 96th birthday. People seemed to like the story because he was sent many birthday cards.

Inside a trailer on a blue recliner, that’s how Walter rode out Hurricane Ian while most, possibly all, of the others in the area evacuated.

https://www.winknews.com/2022/10/12/96-year-old-wwii-veteran-survives-ian-in-a-trailer/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: 96-year-old WWII Veteran survives Ian in a trailer
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2022, 12:12:16 pm »
That is one tough old coot! :patriot:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2022, 12:13:44 pm »

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2022, 12:30:59 pm »
That is one tough old coot! :patriot:

Collier County deputies were proud to participate in a celebration honoring World War II veteran Walter Hanhivara of North Naples on his 96th birthday.

Mr. Hanhivara is a U.S. Navy veteran. He was stationed in the Philippines and New Guinea on the ship LST 623.

He was responsible for the navigation and operation of the ship that transported Gen. MacArthur’s troops in the Southwest Pacific area.

Following the Navy, he went on to join the Merchant Marines.

Salty old dog!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2022, 12:57:39 pm »
God bless him! I'll have to see whether he was aboard the same LST as my father.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org