Author Topic: The Best Type Of Tortilla To Use For Enchiladas  (Read 983 times)

Offline corbe

The Best Type Of Tortilla To Use For Enchiladas
« on: October 12, 2022, 12:24:11 am »
 The Best Type Of Tortilla To Use For Enchiladas

Matthew Spina

In the never-ending battle for the hearts and mouths of Mexican food diners -- enchiladas are a heavyweight that can go toe-to-toe with tacos and burritos any day. Saucy, cheesy, spicy, and packed with a wide variety of fillings, enchiladas are comfort food with a kick. The simple formula of rolled tortilla, filling, and sauce makes it easy to give enchiladas the personal treatment; whether slathered in chile sauce tex-mex style or topped with Swiss cheese and tomatillo salsa, you can find the enchilada that speaks to you (via Texas Monthly).

With so many delicious options, you might not be worried about the tortillas you're using as you fill them up with your beans and cheese. They tend to be an afterthought, the mere vessel to deliver the fillings and toppings you want, but that's a mistake. Like the bread for a sandwich, the proper tortilla can make or break your enchiladas, turning your perfect rolls into a bland, soggy mess. Corn and flour tortillas have specific properties that make them each right for different Mexican dishes, but which should you reach for on enchilada night?

<snip>

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/recipes/the-best-type-of-tortilla-to-use-for-enchiladas/ar-AA12NbCS?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=e3ee3ab82b1549fca2de793aa735bd18
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: The Best Type Of Tortilla To Use For Enchiladas
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 01:16:36 am »
Corn Tortillas, of course.

Whenever I go to a Mexican restaurant, for the first time, my first order is always a plate of cheese enchiladas. If they can't make a good cheese enchilada, with a decent cheese flavor, they're exed off my list.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2022, 02:07:56 am »
Enchiladas are precisely why I set about to learn the ways of rice - We have an old family recipe hereabouts that calls for rice in the filling.

Oddly enough, I can now make rice - Several kinds of pilaf and mixture, absolutely from scratch, that would put anything Lipton (Knorr) ever made to shame... But I never got around to those enchiladas.  :shrug:

Funny how that goes.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 02:11:32 am »
Made some from hard corn I grew a few years back. They didn't turn out bad, the flavor was out of this world.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 05:56:16 am »
Corn Tortillas, of course.

Whenever I go to a Mexican restaurant, for the first time, my first order is always a plate of cheese enchiladas. If they can't make a good cheese enchilada, with a decent cheese flavor, they're exed off my list.

My first order is usually a "Mex Tex".... like you, if not worth a hoot, they get axed. The sausa also has to be good.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline corbe

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2022, 05:49:41 pm »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 12:12:23 am »