Author Topic: West Virginia Supreme Court Upholds School Choice Law, Reverses Lower Court Ruling  (Read 661 times)

Offline Hoodat

*  I'm fully aware that West Virginia is not Virginia, but since the board moderator hails from there, I'm posting it.

West Virginia Supreme Court Upholds School Choice Law, Reverses Lower Court Ruling

Matthew Vadum October 7, 2022

West Virginia’s highest court greenlighted a school choice program that a lower court previously blocked.

School choice became a hot political issue during the COVID-19-related lockdowns as parents questioned governmental authority and what should be taught to children in public schools.

Attorney General Patrick Morrisey, a Republican, hailed the ruling in a post on Twitter.

“Many thanks go out to the WV Supreme Court for reversing the Kanawha Circuit Court and determining that the Hope Scholarship is constitutional. WV kids deserve the best public schools and as many private sector options as possible. This is a big win for educational freedom.”

In an Oct. 6 order, the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia dissolved a permanent injunction by 13th Circuit Court Judge Joanna Tabit in Kanawha County blocking the Hope Scholarship Program. Tabit was appointed by then-Gov. Earl Ray, a Democrat, in 2014.

Those participating in the program, which was approved last year by state lawmakers, receive as much as $4,300 per year to exit the public school system.  .  .

https://www.theepochtimes.com/west-virginia-supreme-court-upholds-school-choice-law-reverses-lower-court-ruling_4781728.html
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline mountaineer

*  I'm fully aware that West Virginia is not Virginia, but since the board moderator hails from there, I'm posting it.
:thumbsup:

There's much celebration among WV's conservatives about this ruling.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org