Author Topic: Biden to pardon all federal offenses of simple marijuana possession  (Read 384 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Biden to pardon all federal offenses of simple marijuana possession
by Nathaniel Weixel - 10/06/22 3:12 PM ET

President Biden will pardon everyone in the U.S. who has been convicted of simple possession of marijuana under federal law, the White House announced Thursday.

“There are thousands of people who have prior federal convictions for marijuana possession, who may be denied employment, housing, or educational opportunities as a result.  My action will help relieve the collateral consequences arising from these convictions,” Biden said in a statement.

The White House is urging governors to take similar action. Administration officials told reporters the move could benefit about 6,500 individuals, though they noted that there are many more people who have been convicted under state law.

Nobody is currently in federal prison on a simple possession charge, officials said.

:whistle:
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/3676896-biden-to-pardon-all-federal-offenses-of-simple-marijuana-possession/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Re: Biden to pardon all federal offenses of simple marijuana possession
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 07:34:58 pm »
Of course, we all know that he has no idea he's done this. Someone on his staff just wanted to get his/her own criminal record cleared.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2022, 07:41:03 pm »
More Dem voters, just in time for the elections.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2022, 07:54:34 pm »
Ian Miles Cheong
@stillgray
Biden could've done this on day one of his presidency but he decided to wait until the midterms so he could get black people to vote for him.
3:39 PM · Oct 6, 2022

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2022, 10:44:01 pm »
https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/06/politics/marijuana-decriminalization-white-house-joe-biden

And the President will task the Department of Health and Human Services and Attorney General Merrick Garland to “expeditiously” review how marijuana is scheduled under federal law, the first step toward potentially easing a federal classification that currently places marijuana in the same category as heroin and LSD.

“No one should be in jail just for using or possessing marijuana,” Biden said in a video announcing his executive actions. “It’s legal in many states, and criminal records for marijuana possession have led to needless barriers to employment, housing, and educational opportunities. And that’s before you address the racial disparities around who suffers the consequences. While white and Black and brown people use marijuana at similar rates, Black and brown people are arrested, prosecuted, and convicted at disproportionate rates.”

“Too many lives have been upended because of our failed approach to marijuana. It’s time that we right these wrongs,” the President said.

I'm not going to hold my breath till I get pardoned. Texas'll never do dat!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2022, 01:21:04 pm »
Lawyerforlaws
@lawyer4laws
For Show ?
Biden announces Federal Marijuana Pardons ..
2001 DOJ stat ~
Only one I could find  ..
Only 63 were imprisoned ..
I would assume those 63 have were released long ago ..
7:05 PM · Oct 6, 2022

Chances are, if anyone is in federal prison for "simple marijuana possession," it's bigtime drug dealers who had some charges reduced. So Biden most likely is releasing drug dealers, not some simpleton caught with one joint. Most mj possession charges are state, not federal.