Author Topic: Air Force Academy's 'Mom/dad' controversy draws renewed attention to a modern, military-wide debate  (Read 268 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Air Force Academy's 'Mom/dad' controversy draws renewed attention to a modern, military-wide debate

By STEPHANIE EARLS stephanie.earls@gazette.com Oct 1, 2022 Updated 8 hrs ago View Comments

The "woke wars" that have been raging in U.S. culture for the past few years have now arrived full force in military academies, as evidenced by the recent controversy over a diversity and inclusion briefing at the Air Force Academy — and the academy's defense of the program.

Academy officials say such diversity training is long overdue and will build better leaders, while critics worry about what appears to be a changing culture and focus in the military and its institutions that will be to the detriment of the nation's defenses.

One slide presented as part of the training program bore language that encouraged cadets to “recognize diverse family formation” by using broad terminology that avoided gendered references. The academy said the slide was taken out of context; cadets aren’t prohibited from using the terms “mom” and “dad,” as some news reports claimed, and the information presented as part of the training was “not intended to stand alone.”

https://gazette.com/premium/air-force-academys-mom-dad-controversy-draws-renewed-attention-to-a-modern-military-wide-debate/article_727726ca-410e-11ed-9d05-7bbf1366b02f.html
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 12:33:18 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Shouldn't gender specific terms like sir and ma'am be trashed for something more generic, too? :tongue2:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Shouldn't gender specific terms like sir and ma'am be trashed for something more generic, too? :tongue2:
Already happened years ago. Some female officers require to be referred to as, 'Yes Sir!'.
You can even see this in various Star Trek series, especially Star Trek Voyager.
Sometimes Yes Sir!. Sometimes Yes Ma'am!. This has been happening at least since the 80s.
Yes Sir! ... is meant to be not gender specific.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.