Author Topic: Five Nimitz sailors report health concerns from contaminated water  (Read 268 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Five Nimitz sailors report health concerns from contaminated water
By Diana Stancy Correll and Geoff Ziezulewicz
 Sep 29, 08:05 PM

Five sailors assigned to the aircraft carrier Nimitz have reported illnesses they believe stem from jet fuel that leaked into the carrier’s water system.

Jet fuel was first found in the Nimitz’s water system Sept. 16 during a pre-deployment cruise in the Pacific Ocean, prompting the carrier to initiate a targeted flushing of the ship’s potable water system on Sept. 17.

Navy officials confirmed Tuesday that traces of jet fuel were still being found in the carrier’s potable water system, after the flushing, but said then there were no “confirmed” cases of illness due to the contaminated water. In response to a Navy Times inquiry, the Navy elaborated on its initial response.

“To date, five Sailors have reported health concerns that may have been related to the water issue,” 3rd Fleet spokesman Cmdr. Sean Robertson said Thursday in an email to Navy Times. “These Sailors are being closely monitored by health officials. If we receive any additional reports of potentially contaminated water, we will immediately investigate and take appropriate action to safeguard the crew.”

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2022/09/30/five-nimitz-sailors-report-health-concerns-from-contaminated-water/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Five Nimitz sailors report health concerns from contaminated water
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 11:19:03 am »
I'll bet they would immediately feel better if they were to be transferred to shore duty and given light duty chits.   wink777
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline ironhorsedriver

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 11:26:34 am »
They sure wouldn't have made it on the old Coral Sea!

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 12:01:04 pm »
They sure wouldn't have made it on the old Coral Sea!

Or the Ranger, CV-61.
Thomas Jefferson