Author Topic: A ‘Moral Obligation’: California Looks To Ban Diesel-Powered Trucks To Rectify  (Read 222 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
A ‘Moral Obligation’: California Looks To Ban Diesel-Powered Trucks To Rectify ‘Decades Of Racist’ Practices

JACK MCEVOY
ENERGY & ENVIRONMENT REPORTER
September 21, 2022

The California Air Resources Board (CARB) is considering new regulations to ban the sale of all diesel semi-trucks by 2040 to fight climate change and rectify a legacy of racist practices, according to a CARB report released on Aug. 30.

The proposal would require medium and heavy-duty trucks entering ports and railyards to be fully electric by 2035, according to the report. CARB believes that such freight vehicles should be banned because the diesel emissions that come from such vehicles disproportionately affect low-income and minority communities due to racist zoning policies.

“Decades of racist and classist practices, including red-lining and siting decisions, have concentrated heavy-duty vehicle and freight activities in these communities, with concomitant disproportionate pollution burdens,” the regulators stated. “CARB has legal and moral obligations to lessen these burdens.”

https://dailycaller.com/2022/09/21/california-looks-to-ban-diesel-trucks-rectify-decades-racist-practices/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
such vehicles disproportionately affect low-income and minority communities due to racist zoning policies.

This crackerjack board doesn't think requiring electric cars will affect low income and minority communities negatively? 10631
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson