Author Topic: UN chief calls for global abolition of nuclear weapons after Putin threat  (Read 180 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
UN chief calls for global abolition of nuclear weapons after Putin threat
BY JULIA MUELLER - 09/26/22 3:08 PM ET

United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres on Monday called for the global elimination of nuclear weapons to prevent “humanitarian Armageddon” as international tensions heighten over Russia’s war in Ukraine.

“The Cold War brought humanity within minutes of annihilation. Now, decades after the fall of the Berlin Wall, we can hear once again the rattling of nuclear sabres,” Guterres said in remarks to the U.N.

“Let me be clear. The era of nuclear blackmail must end. The idea that any country could fight and win a nuclear war is deranged. Any use of a nuclear weapon would incite a humanitarian Armageddon. We need to step back.”

The U.N. chief was speaking to mark the organization’s International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons, which has been observed since 2013.

https://thehill.com/policy/international/3661784-un-chief-calls-for-global-abolition-of-nuclear-weapons-after-putin-threat/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: UN chief calls for global abolition of nuclear weapons after Putin threat
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 11:25:42 am »
Could he call for the abolition of snow in Michigan while he's at it?  That has as much of a chance of happening as does the nuclear weapons schtick. *****rollingeyes***** 
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson