Author Topic: White House says it wants Atlanta Braves name change… on same day Biden hosts team  (Read 1198 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 White House says it wants Atlanta Braves name change… on same day Biden hosts team
By Steven Nelson   
September 26, 2022 4:36pm

White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre encouraged the Atlanta Braves to have a “conversation” about picking a new name Monday — hours after President Biden hosted the team to celebrate their 2021 World Series championship.

Jennifer Jacobs of Bloomberg News asked Jean-Pierre at her regular briefing for Biden’s position on the Braves’ nickname as well as the controversial “tomahawk chop” cheer.

“We believe that it’s important to have this conversation, you know, and Native American and indigenous voices, they should be at the center of this conversation,” Jean-Pierre responded.

“That is something that the president believes, that is something this administration believes, and he has consistently emphasized that all people deserve to be treated with dignity and respect,” she added.

“You hear that often from this president. The same is true here. And we should listen to Native American and indigenous people who are the most impacted by this.”

Biden himself had no qualms about saying the team’s name during a celebration in the White House East Room — and noted that its use dates back more than a century, when the Boston Rustlers became the Boston Braves in 1912.

more
https://nypost.com/2022/09/26/white-house-urges-conversation-about-braves-name-change-after-biden-hosts-team/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

And we should listen to Native American and indigenous people who are the most impacted by this
They never cared that Native American and indigenous people said they weren't offended by the Washington Redskins.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online andy58-in-nh

When are they going to start treating white Christians, whose forebears founded this nation, with as much "dignity and respect" as the term "Braves" implies?
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline EdinVA

Obviously more important than securing the border or energy.....  9999hair out0000

Online mountaineer

People paying $6 for a gallon of milk or for a pound of ground beef are really, really concerned about this issue.

Offline Polly Ticks

People paying $6 for a gallon of milk or for a pound of ground beef are really, really concerned about this issue.

And that's not even ballpark prices.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online mountaineer

And that's not even ballpark prices.
Mr. M and I attended one of the LPGA's major championships this summer. We were disappointed with the concessions overall, but worst of all, they wanted $14 for a cup of beer! The struggle is real! We decided to save our money to buy gasoline, instead.

Offline Hoodat

White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre encouraged the Atlanta Braves to have a “conversation” about picking a new name

I encourage Democrats to have a conversation about picking a new name for their party - something more appropriate like 'Hardline Fascists'.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Lando Lincoln

Warnock and Abrams must be thrilled.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Hoodat

Mr. M and I attended one of the LPGA's major championships this summer. We were disappointed with the concessions overall, but worst of all, they wanted $14 for a cup of beer!

And to think that baseball used to be a blue collar game.  Money has completely ruined the sport.  When I was a kid, I remember players like Greg Luzinski buying up whole sections of bleacher seats and handing out tickets to neighborhood kids before the game.  Just the very idea of someone playing a person to play baseball defies imagination.  I would gladly take a two-thirds pay cut from my current salary if I got to play 162 games of baseball each summer.

Guessing you're a Pirates fan @mountaineer , I remember those old Pirate teams with Drabek, Bonds, Bonilla, and Van Slyke.  Back then, players still had a love for the game.  You just don't see that today.  It has turned into Hollywood.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

Warnock and Abrams must be thrilled.

Abrams was the main person lobbying for the All-Star game to be moved out of Atlanta last year.  She is no fan of Georgia.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online mountaineer

And to think that baseball used to be a blue collar game.  Money has completely ruined the sport.  When I was a kid, I remember players like Greg Luzinski buying up whole sections of bleacher seats and handing out tickets to neighborhood kids before the game.  Just the very idea of someone playing a person to play baseball defies imagination.  I would gladly take a two-thirds pay cut from my current salary if I got to play 162 games of baseball each summer.

Guessing you're a Pirates fan mountaineer, I remember those old Pirate teams with Drabek, Bonds, Bonilla, and Van Slyke.  Back then, players still had a love for the game.  You just don't see that today.  It has turned into Hollywood.
Yes, I was a Bucs fan in my youth - back when some of the Pirates need to work part-time jobs in the off-season to support their families - and .200 hitters weren't being paid millions of dollars a year. When I lived in St. Louis, I remember getting bleacher seats at Busch Stadium for just a few bucks. We went to a Pirates game last year in Pittsburgh, and seats in the nosebleed section were $30. That the team stinks is just gravy.

Offline Polly Ticks

Totally agree.  I'm actually kind of glad to be an out-of-market fan, because I couldn't afford even semi-regular tickets to see the games if I lived in the vicinity.  It's a lot easier to pay the one-time MLB.TV fee and watch from home with as many kids as want to pop in and out.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
"Braves" is a very complimentary term for those fierce courageous Indians who fought for their homeland.

Stupid woke shit backfires again.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Lando Lincoln

When I was a boy growing up near Milwaukee, my Dad would take my brother and me to a couple Braves game a year.  Aaron, Matthews, Spahn, Burdette… My uncle would always join us.  Like most, my Dad was just a working guy providing for his family while Mom kept the home front going. It was a partnership and I do not recall a complaint of the $$$ for the ballgame. A special, wholesome memory.
John Steinbeck

Offline Hoodat

When I was a boy growing up near Milwaukee, my Dad would take my brother and me to a couple Braves game a year.  Aaron, Matthews, Spahn, Burdette… My uncle would always join us.  Like most, my Dad was just a working guy providing for his family while Mom kept the home front going. It was a partnership and I do not recall a complaint of the $$$ for the ballgame. A special, wholesome memory.

Spahn and Sain, and then two days of rain.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline EdinVA

Moved to Northern Virginia in the spring of 1960, attended Kennedy's inauguration, worked at Nixon's first  and went to several of the Washington Senators games.... geezz... long time ago

Offline Lando Lincoln

Spahn and Sain, and then two days of rain.

I recall hearing my Dad say that many times.  happy77

Edit: I think he would say, “Spahn and Sain, then pray for rain”.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 02:55:48 pm by Lando Lincoln »
John Steinbeck

Offline Polly Ticks

Exactly right. That's why I take the time and money to take my baseball-buddy kiddo to Atlanta once a year.  We're not going to a game; we're making memories.

Offline Polly Ticks

I recall hearing my Dad say that many times.  happy77

Edit: I think he would say, “Spahn and Sain, then pray for rain”.

Yep, that was the one. 
 :beer:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Good thing the Astros aren't the Colt 45's anymore. 

Can you imagine the woke turds?

:cool:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Polly Ticks

Good thing the Astros aren't the Colt 45's anymore. 

Can you imagine the woke turds?

:cool:

Ha!  Right?  It would be as bad as "The Rittenhouses"!!   :laugh:

Online mountaineer

"Braves" is a very complimentary term for those fierce courageous Indians who fought for their homeland.

Stupid woke shit backfires again.
Hard to figure how "braves" and "warriors" is seen as something negative.  :shrug: