Author Topic: Watch the US Air Force, Navy and their British counterparts turn a warship into a fireball  (Read 177 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Watch the US Air Force, Navy and their British counterparts turn a warship into a fireball
 Nicholas Slayton - Yesterday 6:01 PM

Lately, most big multinational naval training exercises have been in the Pacific Ocean, not the Atlantic. And British and American forces haven’t really been able to show what their arsenal can do to a conventional target. That’s why they clearly relished the chance to unleash their weapons on a real ship. A new video released on Friday shows the two nations’ armed forces turning a decommissioned American frigate into a burning wreck.

Operations like this, known as SINKEXs, are common in joint training exercises, but always interesting as they give a glimpse at what naval and air power can actually do to large ships. In this case the ex-USS Boone, an Oliver Hazard Perry-class frigate that entered service in 1982 and was decommissioned in 2012, was the target.

It turns out, the combined arsenals of the U.S. Air Force, the U.S. Navy, Royal Air Force and Royal Navy can absolutely obliterate a military vessel. See for yourself:

The two nation’s militaries were participating in Atlantic Thunder, a 12-day training exercise off the coast of Scotland at the start of September. The centerpiece was the SINKEX on September 7, and it was notable for how it let the United Kingdom test its might. The exercise was the first time in nearly two decades the Royal Navy joined such an operation, and the SINKEX was notable as the first time the Royal Air Force’s Typhoon fighter jet got to attack a naval ship for one of these events. The Royal Air Force hasn’t been able to see how a Typhoon handles the mission, but it turns out pretty well.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/watch-the-us-air-force-navy-and-their-british-counterparts-turn-a-warship-into-a-fireball/ar-AA12esO3?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=301a342a80ca4803a7df9cbd79020f3c
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson