Author Topic: Alabama veterans captured while fighting in Ukraine released  (Read 160 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Alabama veterans captured while fighting in Ukraine released
« on: September 22, 2022, 01:41:31 pm »
Alabama veterans captured while fighting in Ukraine released
By Jay Reeves, The Associated Press
 Sep 21, 03:28 PM

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — Two U.S. military veterans who disappeared three months ago while fighting Russia with Ukrainian forces were among 10 prisoners, including five British nationals, released by Russian-backed separatists as part of a prisoner exchange mediated by Saudi Arabia, officials said Wednesday.

Alex Drueke, 39, and Andy Huynh, 27, went missing in the Kharkiv region of northeastern Ukraine near the Russian border June 9. Both had traveled to Ukraine on their own and became friends because both are from Alabama.

It’s the first call-up in Russia since World War II and is sure to further fuel tensions with the Western backers of Ukraine.

The families announced their release in a joint statement from Dianna Shaw, an aunt of Drueke.

“They are safely in the custody of the U.S. embassy in Saudi Arabia and after medical checks and debriefing they will return to the states,” the statement said.

https://www.militarytimes.com/flashpoints/ukraine/2022/09/21/alabama-veterans-captured-while-fighting-in-ukraine-released/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson