Author Topic: The JWST's Data Is So Incredible That Even Those Who Built It Are Questioning Previous Science  (Read 594 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The JWST's Data Is So Incredible That Even Those Who Built It Are Questioning Previous Science

Maggie Harrison - Yesterday 10:10 AM

UC Santa Cruz astronomer Garth Illingworth, former Deputy Director of the Space Telescope Science Institute, has had a hell of a career.

We caught up with astronomer Garth Illingworth to talk about the James Webb Space Telescope, distant galaxies, and the ever-evolving scientific process.
We caught up with astronomer Garth Illingworth to talk about the James Webb Space Telescope, distant galaxies, and the ever-evolving scientific process.

He's dedicated decades to the pursuit of finding and understanding the most distant galaxies, and was a leader on the team that built the Hubble Space Telescope. And before the Hubble was even in the sky, he'd already started to develop the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) — yes, that James Webb Space Telescope, the one that's currently blowing Earthlings' minds on the daily with wildly beautiful images of our universe.

While most of us look at those JWST pictures and just see pictures, Illingworth and his peers see all that and more: data. Over its few operational months, Webb has already offered an illuminating breadth of information — findings that have confirmed, confounded, and even contradicted existing theories about the cosmos. Curious about what that data means ourselves, we caught up with Illingworth to talk about space telescopes, far away worlds, and the ever evolving scientific process. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/the-jwst-s-data-is-so-incredible-that-even-those-who-built-it-are-questioning-previous-science/ar-AA125wMp?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=78098c80db53494f87dcc8f7c0f1c6ad
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 11:08:51 am by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Polly Ticks

What do you think that a situation like this says about the scientific process itself?

This is interesting, because I would say that in times past there was a very slow process of doing things. Data didn't come in very fast. We spent a lot of time working with it, sometimes you'd have to go back and get some more. Then, you know, the papers would come out, and we'd be pretty definitive. Papers come out, everybody thinks "oh, this is great." Then a year later, some new data comes along that goes "well, that was wrong." You have to recognize you can be wrong at any point, but when you're wrong, you learn new things.

I think I've never felt particularly bad if people take the care to do as well as they can at the time, and then go back and revise things. Being wrong isn't bad, it's part of the process. And it's probably inevitable at this stage.

Wow.  Sounds like a 'science-denier' to me.   :whistle:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
This guy doesn't understand the absolute infallibility of consensus and model driven settled science.
The Republic is lost.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Science is never settled.  It's settled for now, until it can be disproven.

Science is the pursuit of knowledge, truth, and the unknown to a point of being able to reliably, consistently reproduce results, predict results, and withstand scrutiny.

Science should not be blind adherence to dogma, especially, if you can prove it to be wrong, unreliable, unreproduceable, and nonpredictive.

Global Climate Change is a mass delusion that serves to carry forward Communist idealogy to destroy the West.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Science is never settled.  It's settled for now, until it can be disproven.

Science is the pursuit of knowledge, truth, and the unknown to a point of being able to reliably, consistently reproduce results, predict results, and withstand scrutiny.

Science should not be blind adherence to dogma, especially, if you can prove it to be wrong, unreliable, unreproduceable, and nonpredictive.

Global Climate Change is a mass delusion that serves to carry forward Communist idealogy to destroy the West.

Science is an ongoing game of "Can You Top This?". (Inevitably, sooner or later, someone likely will.)

"We believe, given what we do know..." should be in front of every scientific statement. Even what we "know"changes with new discoveries.

As for the statements in bold (which I added) no greater truth exists in science.

(There is a greater Truth, and some day we will know.)

« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 09:55:21 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis