Author Topic: Republicans join Democrats to ratify UN climate treaty that could boost consumer prices  (Read 375 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
September 21, 2022 4:24pm EDT

Republicans join Democrats to ratify UN climate treaty that could boost consumer prices
Climate agreement will force American consumers to buy more expensive eco-friendly appliances, expert Ben Lieberman tells FOX Business

By Thomas Catenacci FOXBusiness

The Senate approved a bipartisan measure Wednesday ratifying a United Nations climate agreement dating back decades that reduces the use of a chemical found in household appliances.

Democrats and more than a dozen Republicans voted in favor of ratifying the so-called Kigali Amendment during a floor vote on Wednesday afternoon. The treaty was first introduced in 1987 under the United Nations' Montreal Protocol and has since been ratified by 138 international parties including the European Union.

The Kigali Amendment requires signers to reduce usage of hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), a chemical commonly found in refrigerators and air conditioners, by 85% by 2033. Environmentalists and lawmakers have pushed for HFC reductions, arguing that the chemical is a potent greenhouse gas which contributes to climate change.

However, experts have warned that ratifying the treaty would lead to higher consumer prices for appliances as manufacturers will be forced to replace products that have HFCs with next-generation technologies. The cost of repairing old equipment with HFCs will also increase as supplies become rarer, they said.

"HFCs are the refrigerants needed to run your home air conditioner, your car air conditioner and your refrigerator," Ben Lieberman, a senior fellow at the Competitive Enterprise Institute specializing in environmental policy, told FOX Business in an interview. "Millions of pieces of air conditioning and refrigeration equipment that you might see in commercial properties or restaurant kitchen or a supermarket or a number of small businesses."

"If any of this equipment leaks and needs to have a recharge of refrigerant, that's going to cost more as supply dwindles and prices rise," he continued. "The new equipment will also be more expensive because it's designed to use one of these HFC-free, eco-friendly refrigerants which tend to cost more."

more
https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/republicans-join-democrats-ratify-un-climate-treaty-could-boost-consumer-prices
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online libertybele

Things just keep getting worse!   

Interesting how we survived living up until now.  It's a good thing that the gov't is looking out for us.   *****rollingeyes*****

The GOP joins the DEMS how wonderful!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LMAO

It’s this kind of “bipartisanship” that makes me wonder how long this country will continue
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online libertybele

It’s this kind of “bipartisanship” that makes me wonder how long this country will continue

@LMAO  I've been wondering that for quite sometime.  Joe obviously doesn't know where he is most of the time and we have a Congress that is clearly bent on destroying us!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Ok,anybody surprised by this?

Bueller?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!