Author Topic: Hurricane Ian Thread  (Read 24345 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Hurricane Ian Thread
« Reply #200 on: September 29, 2022, 11:29:32 am »
Nine lives! Good Samaritan risks life to rescue cat perched on air conditioner as raging waters from Hurricane Ian surround it

As Floridians brace for Hurricane Ian which made landfall late Wednesday afternoon, one resident put his life at risk to rescue a feline who was left vulnerable to the raging storm.

A video posted to Twitter by Megan Cruz Scavo has gained massive attention for a display of good humanity in action.

The video, taken in Bonita, on the state's southwest coast, shows Cruz Scavo's boyfriend, Michael, wading through the knee-high water, trudging towards an air conditioner unit where a cat was perched on top.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11260003/Good-Samaritan-risks-life-rescue-cat-raging-waters-Hurricane-Ian-surround-it.html

88888walking kitty 8888sitting kitty 888heartkitty 8888spinning cat

Ping
@Hopalong Ginsberg
@Cyber Liberty
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #201 on: September 29, 2022, 12:57:01 pm »
I think this sheriff may be jumping the gun. Wait till the waters recede.
Janice Dean
@JaniceDean
Per Lee County Sherriff Carmine Marceno
“We have fatalities in the hundreds”
7:21 AM · Sep 29, 2022·
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #202 on: September 29, 2022, 01:09:43 pm »
 'Fatalities are in the hundreds': Sheriff gives heartbreaking Hurricane update
Hurricane Ian downgrades to tropical storm, but experts warn it’s not over
Cami Mondeaux
 | 31 minutes ago

After Hurricane Ian swept through Florida on Thursday, the storm left millions without power, and officials are predicting hundreds of fatalities.

“Fatalities are in the hundreds,” Lee County Sheriff Carmine Marceno told Good Morning America on Thursday.

Ian was moving northeast across Florida at about 8 mph with maximum sustained winds of 65 mph at 5 a.m. Thursday, according to the National Hurricane Center. However, the agency warned that Ian could pick back up and reach hurricane strength as it reaches Florida’s east coast on Saturday, posing risks to Georgia and the Carolinas.

The NHC downgraded Hurricane Ian to tropical storm status early Thursday morning after the storm began to weaken gradually overnight Wednesday as it moved across central Florida.

It’s not yet clear how many fatalities or injuries have been sustained due to Ian, and there have not been any reports or numbers from state officials.

President Joe Biden declared a major disaster for Florida early Thursday morning, approving the distribution of federal aid to supplement recovery efforts in the aftermath of Ian. This federal assistance includes grants for temporary housing and home repairs, loans to insure property losses, and other programs to assist business owners in recovering from the storm’s damage.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/hurricane-ian-updates-florida-fatalities-hundreds

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #203 on: September 29, 2022, 01:12:49 pm »
Still not clear that these are confirmed dead. Sounds like an educated guess on the sheriff's part.
‘Hundreds’ confirmed dead after Hurricane Ian decimates Florida
By Lee Brown   
September 29, 2022 8:54am

Historic Hurricane Ian has already killed “hundreds” of people in Florida, a sheriff in the hardest-hit region revealed early Thursday — but the death toll is expected to swell as Floridians wake up to assess the true extent of the destruction in daylight.

“This is a life-changing event for all of us, Lee County Sheriff Carmine Marceno told “Good Morning America.”

I don’t have confirmed numbers — I definitely know the fatalities are in the hundreds,” he added.

“So far, confirmed in the hundreds,” he said, noting that conditions were too dire for his officers and other rescuers to get a true sense of the disaster. ...
NY Post
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #204 on: September 29, 2022, 01:13:29 pm »
 September 29, 2022 8:37am EDT
Hurricane Ian sweeps away section of Sanibel Causeway, cutting off all vehicle access
Hurricane Ian rendered the causeway and the nearby Pine Island Bridge 'not passable,' Gov. Ron DeSantis confirmed
By Anders Hagstrom | Fox News

Hurricane Ian destroyed a section of the Sanibel Causeway connecting Sanibel Island and Captiva with mainland Florida, preventing all access for ground vehicles.

Meteorologist Bryan Bennett first showed the collapsed section on Twitter, revealing a missing portion of the causeway dozens of feet long. Storm reporters with the Tampa Bay Times also confirmed the damage, saying the missing section comes right before the bridge rises up toward the island.

Republican Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis confirmed that the Sanibel Causeway is "not passable" during a Thursday press briefing. He said both the causeway and the nearby Pine Island Bridge will both require a "structural rebuild."

The Sanibel Causeway is a 12-mile stretch of road that rises into a bridge connecting the island with the mainland. The bridge is the only land-access route between the two areas.

https://twitter.com/weatherbryan/status/1575437689452695552

more
https://www.foxnews.com/us/hurricane-ian-sweeps-away-section-sanibel-causeway-cutting-off-all-vehicle-access
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #205 on: September 29, 2022, 01:21:43 pm »
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #206 on: September 29, 2022, 01:30:28 pm »
UPDATE: Lee County sheriff can't confirm number of dead following Ian

UPDATE: Speaking on the program after the interview, Co-anchor George Stephanopolous said GMA had reached back out to the sheriff following his remarks and Marceno said that he can't confirm the numbers.

The sheriff of Lee County, Florida, told "Good Morning America" on Thursday morning that deaths from the storm in the area were in the hundreds.

"We have fatalities in the hundreds," Sheriff Carmine Marceno said, although noting he couldn't confirm specific numbers.
Posted by Julia Musto
Support the USO

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #207 on: September 29, 2022, 01:43:10 pm »
Still not clear that these are confirmed dead. Sounds like an educated guess on the sheriff's part.NY Post

This reminds me so much of Ike in '08, which also had a significant death toll around an near High Island.  All because of complacency, and not understanding or caring about the danger of storm surge. 

Sadly, they just don't get the math.  If your house is 6' MSL, and a wall of water 18' hits you.  You not only have to deal with the inundation, but the force of that water, which most often reeks destruction everywhere in its path.

I had to ride out at home Rita in '05, and Ike in '08, even 50 miles inland because of my job as Emergency Manager.   Both were harrowing experiences, even w/o storm surge.  I just don't understand the mentality to risk your life for potential events which there is plenty of historical documentation of what the consequences might be.

Hundreds?  What a waste and what a travesty.....
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #208 on: September 29, 2022, 01:53:10 pm »
September 29, 2022 8:37am EDT
Hurricane Ian sweeps away section of Sanibel Causeway, cutting off all vehicle access
Hurricane Ian rendered the causeway and the nearby Pine Island Bridge 'not passable,' Gov. Ron DeSantis confirmed
By Anders Hagstrom | Fox News

Hurricane Ian destroyed a section of the Sanibel Causeway connecting Sanibel Island and Captiva with mainland Florida, preventing all access for ground vehicles.

Meteorologist Bryan Bennett first showed the collapsed section on Twitter, revealing a missing portion of the causeway dozens of feet long. Storm reporters with the Tampa Bay Times also confirmed the damage, saying the missing section comes right before the bridge rises up toward the island.

Republican Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis confirmed that the Sanibel Causeway is "not passable" during a Thursday press briefing. He said both the causeway and the nearby Pine Island Bridge will both require a "structural rebuild."

The Sanibel Causeway is a 12-mile stretch of road that rises into a bridge connecting the island with the mainland. The bridge is the only land-access route between the two areas.

https://twitter.com/weatherbryan/status/1575437689452695552

more
https://www.foxnews.com/us/hurricane-ian-sweeps-away-section-sanibel-causeway-cutting-off-all-vehicle-access

There are a couple car ferry's in the area.  One runs From Englewood to the Palm Island Resort.  Don't know if it would be practical for Sanibel /Captiva.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #209 on: September 29, 2022, 02:01:36 pm »
This reminds me so much of Ike in '08, which also had a significant death toll around an near High Island.  All because of complacency, and not understanding or caring about the danger of storm surge. 

Sadly, they just don't get the math.  If your house is 6' MSL, and a wall of water 18' hits you.  You not only have to deal with the inundation, but the force of that water, which most often reeks destruction everywhere in its path.

I had to ride out at home Rita in '05, and Ike in '08, even 50 miles inland because of my job as Emergency Manager.   Both were harrowing experiences, even w/o storm surge.  I just don't understand the mentality to risk your life for potential events which there is plenty of historical documentation of what the consequences might be.

Hundreds?  What a waste and what a travesty.....

Agree you for the most part, @catfish1957

Sadly...don't get the "math"?

Virtually every major storm of the past 20 years has gotten 24/7 PRE-LANDFALL television coverage and every single time it's ended up only half as strong/bad as projected.  Ergo, it's not surprising how many people "rode it out".

Furthermore, if it's true that over 70% of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck and even 'living' on credit cards...so evacuation and meals on the road/hotel room is not an option.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #210 on: September 29, 2022, 02:13:17 pm »
Agree you for the most part, @catfish1957

Sadly...don't get the "math"?

Virtually every major storm of the past 20 years has gotten 24/7 PRE-LANDFALL television coverage and every single time it's ended up only half as strong/bad as projected.  Ergo, it's not surprising how many people "rode it out".

Furthermore, if it's true that over 70% of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck and even 'living' on credit cards...so evacuation and meals on the road/hotel room is not an option.

"Better Safe than Sorry"

I'd venture 99% of the victims had either at least one willing friend or family member who lives above 20' MSL.  Cost is/was not an issue.

Plus there are always pre-planned Red Cross evac locations that at worst are available, (and transport too) with a simple 211 call.

Every life lost there was preventable.  Complacency, ego, machismo, or arrogant ignorance are all root causes.

Now, if any are in emergency managment.....   That is a different discussion.  Then it is a planning issue.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 02:17:17 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #211 on: September 29, 2022, 03:04:02 pm »
Support the USO

Offline Idiot

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #213 on: September 29, 2022, 03:12:34 pm »
Could be a File Photo.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Hoodat

« Reply #214 on: September 29, 2022, 03:27:02 pm »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #215 on: September 29, 2022, 03:32:06 pm »

I always get a kick out of photos like this.  Notice that there isn't a single note or piece of paper on the entire desk other than the one he is holding a pen to.  And notice the paper coffee cup with the plastic lid, as if the President doesn't have special ceramic cups with the Presidential seal of them.  And then finally, does anyone actually expect me to believe that Joe Biden is capable of talking on the phone with one hand and writing at the same time with the other?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #216 on: September 29, 2022, 03:34:34 pm »
Only a mater of time now before the TV Ghouls start the "Death Count" meters from Ian. 

Online Hoodat

« Reply #217 on: September 29, 2022, 03:44:58 pm »
Only a mater of time now before the TV Ghouls start the "Death Count" meters from Ian.

HOW COULD DESANTIS LET ALL THOSE PEOPLE DIE ????

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #218 on: September 29, 2022, 03:55:40 pm »

HOW COULD DESANTIS LET ALL THOSE PEOPLE DIE ????

This is bigger than Covid. DeathSantis is killing people!

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #219 on: September 29, 2022, 04:21:30 pm »
I have seen this on Fox...why on earth didn't they move these engines to high ground...now they are all under water....reminds me of the buses during Katrina...

I don't know the configuration of the landscape there, but here in the coast of Texas where I live, there is no "high ground."

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #220 on: September 29, 2022, 04:25:34 pm »
But wait there's more! Don't forget those that will blame Trump for four years lost in stopping CLIMATE CHANGE, if only we had taxed the nation into submission while also shutting down the nation because of Covid.....there wouldn't be as many Americans left with property in Florida to be affected by a naturally occurring hurricane.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #221 on: September 29, 2022, 04:26:55 pm »
@libertybele

Been praying for you, girlfriend. Ping me when you're able to get back online so I can know you're safe. Still praying.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #222 on: September 29, 2022, 04:52:33 pm »
Ft. Myers ----

« Reply #223 on: September 29, 2022, 04:55:18 pm »
The Causeway ----

« Reply #224 on: September 29, 2022, 05:06:15 pm »