Author Topic: Hurricane Ian Thread  (Read 24590 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Hurricane Ian Thread
« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2022, 08:47:49 pm »
 Biden calls Florida mayors — but not DeSantis — as Hurricane Ian nears shore
By Steven Nelson   
September 27, 2022 2:09pm

President Biden called three Florida mayors Tuesday as Hurricane Ian nears Florida’s western coast — but didn’t call Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis, with whom he has clashed on issues such as COVID-19 policies and migration.

Presidents frequently speak directly with governors during emergency events — both to demonstrate political unity and to help coordinate federal and state relief efforts.

As the devastating Category 3 storm approached, Biden instead spoke with Tampa Mayor Jane Castor, St. Petersburg Mayor Ken Welch and Clearwater Mayor Frank Hibbard. Castor and Welch are Democrats, while Hibbard is a Republican.

DeSantis is a potential 2024 Republican presidential candidate and has frequently criticized Biden’s performance.

White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said at her regular press briefing that Biden “held separate calls” with the mayors and “discussed planning and preparation for Hurricane Ian.”

more
https://nypost.com/2022/09/27/biden-calls-florida-mayors-but-not-desantis-as-hurricane-ian-nears/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #101 on: September 27, 2022, 08:57:02 pm »
I will touch base when I can -- we are supposed to see the worst tomorrow around noon until middle of Thursday.  We have a solar charged radio and cell phone charger.  The last hurricane took out a couple of cell towers, so who knows.

Thank you for prayers.  happy77 :beer:

Praying for you. May this pass quickly and without harm.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Online Hoodat

« Reply #102 on: September 27, 2022, 09:18:30 pm »
My daughter relocated to Clearwater this past weeken..  Perfect timing.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #103 on: September 27, 2022, 09:38:55 pm »
Intensity seems to have sustained at 4:00 p.m. advisory.  Cone has shifted 30-40 miles southward.  From Vis Sat, do not see any weakening yet.  This is still a very powerful storm and sustaining its convection outflow well in every direction. I do see some slight SW to NE shear, but its doing little to hinder the storm.

Sarasota to Punta Gorda now seem to be the NHC points of impact. A great deal of the western FL coast is still in the cone too.  Still a lot can change in the next 24-36 hours.  One thing though, 10-15 storm surge is nothing to play with. Add that to Cat 3/4 winds?

Please take necessary precautions if you are in the path.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 09:40:11 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #104 on: September 27, 2022, 09:49:30 pm »

Prayers for your daughter to be safe….
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #105 on: September 27, 2022, 10:14:21 pm »

The struggle is real when you move to florida! Lets see how many damn yankee's decide to go back to NY after a fewe cat 3 Plus canes hit.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 10:15:58 pm by Wingnut »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #106 on: September 27, 2022, 10:32:59 pm »
Joe Biden Avoids Phone Call with Ron DeSantis Ahead of Hurricane Ian

It’s unclear why Joe Biden is avoiding a phone call with Ron DeSantis, as he has previously contacted governors ahead of dangerous hurricanes.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022/09/27/joe-biden-ignoring-phone-call-ron-desantis-ahead-hurricane-ian/
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online Hoodat

« Reply #107 on: September 27, 2022, 10:35:24 pm »
Prayers for your daughter to be safe….

She told me that her house is up on a hill.  <sigh>
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #108 on: September 27, 2022, 10:36:15 pm »
It’s unclear why Joe Biden is avoiding a phone call with Ron DeSantis, as he has previously contacted governors ahead of dangerous hurricanes.

It's perfectly clear to me.  Joe Biden is a petty little bitch.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #109 on: September 27, 2022, 10:51:01 pm »

Offline rustynail

« Reply #110 on: September 27, 2022, 11:08:46 pm »
It's perfectly clear to me.  Joe Biden is a petty little bitch.
“Let me be clear. If you’re in a state where hurricanes often strike like Florida or the Gulf Coast or into Texas, a vital part of preparing for hurricane season is to get vaccinated,” Biden stated ahead of Hurricane Ian’s anticipated landfall on the west coast of Florida.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #111 on: September 27, 2022, 11:24:47 pm »
DeSantis War Room 🐳
@DeSantisWarRoom
·
58m
"I’m happy to brief the President if he’s interested in hearing what we’re doing in Florida... You've got people’s lives at stake...no time for pettiness, we've gotta work together to make sure we’re doing the best job for them. So my phone line is open." @RonDeSantisFL on Biden
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #112 on: September 28, 2022, 12:10:46 am »
Support the USO

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #113 on: September 28, 2022, 12:22:27 am »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #114 on: September 28, 2022, 01:23:57 am »
 Biden speaks with DeSantis about Hurricane Ian
by Zach Schonfeld - 09/27/22 8:20 PM ET

President Biden spoke with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) on Tuesday evening, shortly after the governor said during a press conference that Biden had not yet called to discuss Hurricane Ian.

“President Biden spoke this evening with Governor DeSantis of Florida to discuss the steps the Federal government is taking to help Florida prepare for Hurricane Ian,” White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre tweeted. “The President and the Governor committed to continued close coordination.”

DeSantis during a press conference earlier on Tuesday evening said Biden had not called him, but the Florida Republican lauded Biden’s approval of Florida’s emergency declaration in a rare show of praise.

“I’m happy to brief the president if he’s interested in hearing what we’re doing in Florida,” DeSantis said.

“My view on all this is like, you’ve got people’s lives at stake, you’ve got their property at stake and we don’t have time for pettiness,” he continued. “We gotta work together to make sure we’re doing the best job for them, so my phone line is open.”

The White House previously stressed that the political differences between Biden and DeSantis would not affect the administration’s response to the hurricane.

DeSantis also indicated he has a good relationship with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), which has sent personnel to Florida to assist in the state’s response.

Reporters pressed FEMA Administrator Deanne Criswell at a White House press briefing earlier on Tuesday about the lack of a call between Biden and DeSantis, but she said it had not impeded planning for the storm.

“The President is very focused on making sure that the federal family has the right resources available to support this,” Criswell said. “That is why I contacted the governor right away, and we have a team of my senior leadership that are embedded with the governor to make sure that we’re supporting that.”

Biden also held calls with the mayors of Tampa, St. Petersburg and Clearwater to discuss the potential impacts of the hurricane across the state.

Hurricane Ian is expected to make landfall on Florida’s Gulf Coast between Wednesday afternoon and early Thursday morning.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/3664054-biden-speaks-with-desantis-about-hurricane-ian/
Support the USO

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #115 on: September 28, 2022, 01:28:20 am »
Hurricane IAN, LIVE, HITS KEY WEST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIrhyAa2xTE

Oh boy, Hemingway House! I hope it and the six toed cats will be ok…..

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2022, 01:31:24 am »
Cape Coral has a storm surge problem if the path verifies.

Flooding rain is the headline along I-4.  Water tables are still high from the summer rains.

SE Florida has a day of tornadoes to deal with.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #117 on: September 28, 2022, 01:32:06 am »
This guy on you tube is showing a two tornadoes in addition to the hurricane.

It’s pretty scary

https://youtu.be/Oot_sJhPqVc
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 01:32:55 am by Gefn »

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2022, 01:34:19 am »

Clearwater may have lucked out (for the 100th year in a row) other than torrential rains.  We’ll have to be wary of any major wobbles from the storm’s core, since the margin of error is pretty thin.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2022, 01:55:46 am »

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #120 on: September 28, 2022, 02:01:56 am »
Cuba without electricity after hurricane hammers power grid

AVANA (AP) - Hurricane Ian knocked out power across all of Cuba and devastated some of the country´s most important tobacco farms Tuesday when it slammed into the island´s western tip as a major hurricane.

Cuba´s Electric Union said in a statement that work is being done to gradually restore service to the country´s 11 million people between Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. Power was initially knocked out in Cuba's western provinces, but subsequently the entire grid collapsed.

Ian made landfall as a Category 3 hurricane early Tuesday on the island´s west coast. It devastated Pinar del Río province, where much of the tobacco used to make Cuba´s iconic cigars is grown.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-11256935/Cuba-without-electricity-hurricane-hammers-power-grid.html

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #121 on: September 28, 2022, 03:36:08 am »
DeSantis War Room 🐳
@DeSantisWarRoom
·
58m
"I’m happy to brief the President if he’s interested in hearing what we’re doing in Florida... You've got people’s lives at stake...no time for pettiness, we've gotta work together to make sure we’re doing the best job for them. So my phone line is open." @RonDeSantisFL on Biden

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #122 on: September 28, 2022, 03:50:58 am »

Watch out for that knife in your back, Ron.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #123 on: September 28, 2022, 04:58:36 am »
About 10 hours away from eyewall hitting SW FL Coast.

This close to land, and very well clustered model tracks seem to point to a Cape Coral/Ft. Myers landfall.  Anticipated NNE turn was earlier and more prounced than the NHC previously thought.  As dire as it looked for TB yesterday, it now looks like they may see no more than 50 mph winds, especially inland.  Crazy how quickly this thing can change.

Forecasted winds at landfall are expected to be 130 mph sustained, which would make it a minimal Cat 4.  8-12 storm surge and Cat 4 winds are likely to be catastrophic.

In the last couple of hours Ian's eye has gotten kind of raggedy, which may be some potential weakening, or an eye wall replacement.  There is a nice tongue of pretty dry air inflitatrating the west side, and I see some fading pf convection on the SW quadrant of the storm.  In fact this front along the Gulf coast is filteting in enough dry air that the entire west peripheral of Ian's upper atmospheric cloud shield is eroding.

These are some positve short term signs, but I think it is too late to have any drastic impact on this monster storm,
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 04:59:46 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #124 on: September 28, 2022, 06:08:20 am »
Prayers up for all y'all in the path of this storm!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis