Author Topic: ‘The worst command’: Inside the submarine Scranton’s dysfunction  (Read 316 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
‘The worst command’: Inside the submarine Scranton’s dysfunction
By Geoff Ziezulewicz
 Sep 20, 05:50 AM

The commanding officer of the fast-attack submarine Scranton was fired in July after a relentless string of “disproportionate, loud and often toxic outbursts” directed at his crew over everything from the thickness of meat served in the galley and the stowing of coffee creamer to minor sailor missteps.

The caustic atmosphere aboard the boat during Cmdr. Seth Rumler’s eight months in command, which ended with his firing in July, demoralized the crew in a variety of ways.

Before his relief — amid a secretive and extended West Pacific deployment that wrapped Sept. 7 and covered 50,000 nautical miles — Scranton sailors reported a climate in which sailors were scared to bring bad news to the CO.

At one point, a sailor told investigators, Rumler ordered an injured sailor into an underway and criticized a chief who visited mental health before deployment.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-navy/2022/09/20/the-worst-command-inside-the-submarine-scrantons-dysfunction/
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 11:33:38 am by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: ‘The worst command’: Inside the submarine Scranton’s dysfunction
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 09:49:15 pm »
The commanding officer of the fast-attack submarine Scranton was fired in July after a relentless string of “disproportionate, loud and often toxic outbursts” directed at his crew over everything from the thickness of meat served in the galley and the stowing of coffee creamer to minor sailor missteps.

Captain Queeg, anyone...?

Offline DB

Re: ‘The worst command’: Inside the submarine Scranton’s dysfunction
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 10:00:05 pm »
The last straw-berry...