Author Topic: EU Votes to Keep Burning Forests Because of Climate Change  (Read 188 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
EU Votes to Keep Burning Forests Because of Climate Change
« on: September 20, 2022, 01:46:13 pm »
Home2022September19

EU Votes to Keep Burning Forests Because of Climate Change

The border between Haiti and the Dominican Republic. Guess what Haiti uses for fuel?

12 hours ago 
Essay by Eric Worrall

In the 16th Century, coal saved the forests of Britain and Europe from total extinction. My question, who or what will save the forests this time?

EU votes to keep woody biomass as renewable energy, ignores climate risk

by Justin Catanoso on 16 September 2022

Despite growing public opposition, the European Parliament voted this week not to declassify woody biomass as renewable energy. The forest biomass industry quickly declared victory, while supporters of native forests announced their plan to continue the fight — even in court.

The EU likely renewed its commitment to burning wood as a source of energy largely to help meet its target of cutting EU carbon emissions by 55% by 2030, something it likely couldn’t achieve without woody biomass (which a carbon accounting loophole counts as carbon neutral, equivalent to wind and solar power).

Scientific evidence shows that burning wood pellets is a major source of carbon at the smokestack. The European Union also likely continued its embrace of biomass this week as it looks down the barrel of Russian threats to cut off natural gas supplies this winter over the EU’s opposition to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/09/19/eu-votes-to-keep-burning-forests-because-of-climate-change/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson