Author Topic: Biden Administration Guts Due Process Protections for Students Accused of Sexual Misconduct  (Read 372 times)

Offline Kamaji

Biden Administration Guts Due Process Protections for Students Accused of Sexual Misconduct

Under the new regulations, Title IX investigators can deny students access to the evidence against them.

EMMA CAMP
FROM THE OCTOBER 2022 ISSUE of Reason Magazine

College students investigated for sexual harassment or assault will once again be stripped of due process, thanks to new regulations released by the U.S. Department of Education in June.

The new rules, which apply to investigations under Title IX, part of a federal law that prohibits sex discrimination in education, rescind rules crafted and implemented by former Education Secretary Betsy DeVos during the Trump administration. They mark the return of the "single investigator model," which empowers a single college administrator to investigate, judge, and sanction alleged misconduct.

The Biden administration regulations also require schools to apply a "preponderance of the evidence" standard when investigating complaints. Under that standard, investigators must find an accused student guilty if they conclude it is more than 50 percent likely that the allegations are true. Under the DeVos regulations, by contrast, universities needed "clear and convincing evidence" to punish an accused student.

Under the new regulations, Title IX investigators can deny students access to the evidence against them. They are required only to give accused students a "description of the relevant evidence." That description can be given "orally," meaning accused students are not entitled to review testimony, transcripts, or other records used to determine their guilt. The new rules also allow schools to deny accused students a live hearing and the opportunity to question their accusers.

Source:  https://reason.com/2022/09/15/biden-guts-title-ix-due-process/

Offline LMAO

This is a return of the Obama era policy.

This administration is a complete and utter disaster
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Kamaji

This is a return of the Obama era policy.

This administration is a complete and utter disaster

:thumbsup:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The courts have already slapped this down in individual cases.
The Republic is lost.

Online Hoodat

Biden Administration Guts Due Process Protections for Students Accused of Sexual Misconduct

Under the new regulations, Title IX investigators can deny students access to the evidence against them.

That violates the Sixth Amendment.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-