Author Topic: What killed dinosaurs and other life on Earth?  (Read 367 times)

Offline Kamaji

What killed dinosaurs and other life on Earth?
« on: September 14, 2022, 04:41:14 pm »
What killed dinosaurs and other life on Earth?

Mega volcanoes and mass extinctions
Date:  September 12, 2022
Source:  Dartmouth College
Summary:  Determining what killed the dinosaurs 66 million years ago at the end of the Cretaceous Period has long been the topic of debate, as scientists set out to determine what caused the five mass extinction events that reshaped life on planet Earth in a geological instant. Some scientists argue that comets or asteroids that crashed into Earth were the most likely agents of mass destruction, while others argue that large volcanic eruptions were the cause. A new study reports that volcanic activity appears to have been the key driver of mass extinctions.

Determining what killed the dinosaurs 66 million years ago at the end of the Cretaceous Period has long been the topic of debate, as scientists set out to determine what caused the five mass extinction events that reshaped life on planet Earth in a geological instant. Some scientists argue that comets or asteroids that crashed into Earth were the most likely agents of mass destruction, while others argue that large volcanic eruptions were the cause. A new Dartmouth-led study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) reports that volcanic activity appears to have been the key driver of mass extinctions.

The findings provide the most compelling quantitative evidence so far that the link between major volcanic eruptions and wholesale species turnover is not simply a matter of chance.

Four of the five mass extinctions are contemporaneous with a type of volcanic outpouring called a flood basalt, the researchers say. These eruptions flood vast areas -- even an entire continent -- with lava in the blink of a geological eye, a mere million years. They leave behind giant fingerprints as evidence -- extensive regions of step-like, igneous rock (solidified from the erupted lava) that geologists call "large igneous provinces."

To count as "large," a large igneous province must contain at least 100,000 cubic kilometers of magma. For context, the 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens involved less than one cubic kilometer of magma. The researchers say that most of the volcanoes represented in the study erupted on the order of a million times more lava than that.

The team drew on three well-established datasets on geologic time scale, paleobiology, and large igneous provinces to examine the temporal connection between mass extinction and large igneous provinces.

"The large step-like areas of igneous rock from these big volcanic eruptions seem to line up in time with mass extinctions and other significant climatic and environmental events,"says lead author Theodore Green '21, who conducted this research as part of the Senior Fellowship program at Dartmouth and is now a graduate student at Princeton.

In fact, a series of eruptions in present-day Siberia triggered the most destructive of the mass extinctions about 252 million years ago, releasing a gigantic pulse of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere and nearly choking off all life. Bearing witness are the Siberian Traps, a large region of volcanic rock roughly the size of Australia.

Source:  https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2022/09/220912152923.htm

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: What killed dinosaurs and other life on Earth?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 05:07:41 pm »
I thought smoking cigarettes and eating transfats killed the dinosaurs?

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 06:43:25 pm »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2022, 04:11:51 am »
If you smack the planet with a rock or bolide big enough to burn off a continent or two, surely that is going to have some global tectonic implications.

Perhaps one led to the other, and the compound effects (global cooling from high altitude ejecta and volcanic sulfides, diminished sunlight to the surface) wiped out the critical bottom of the food chain and the critters that depended on it, and the critters that depended on them, etc.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis