Author Topic: ‘We have yet to see a peak in food inflation’: Food price increase is highest increase since 1979, a  (Read 553 times)

Online libertybele

‘We have yet to see a peak in food inflation’: Food price increase is highest increase since 1979, and this staple is up nearly 40% on last year

Food prices continued to rise in August, putting pressure on lower- and middle-income households in particular.

Food to prepare at home rose by 13.5% in the month compared to last year, the highest rate of growth since March 1979, government data show. The rise in the cost of living was 8.3% year-over-year in August. Food, in total, was 11.4% more expensive than last year, the biggest annual increase since May 1979.

What’s more, the cost of dining out was up 8% year-over-year.

Eggs saw the highest price increase among goods in grocery stores. They were 39.8% more expensive in August than a year ago. Supply drops, and not just strong demand, added to the price increase. Avian influenza wiped out around 10% of egg production across the country earlier this year, an egg producer previously told MarketWatch.

The flu also impacted poultry production. The price for chicken rose 16.6% year-over-year in August. In addition to extreme heat and tight supplies, people have turned to chicken instead of typically higher-priced beef, according to Brian Earnest, lead economist for animal protein at CoBank, a national cooperative bank serving industries across rural America.

Dairy and processed food prices also spiked. Margarine was up 38.3% in August year-over-year and butter was 24.6% higher, mainly due to the cost of raw materials such as soybean oil and cream. Flour and prepared flour mixes were 23.3% more expensive than a year ago. Crackers were up 17.7% on the year and frozen bakery products, such as pies and tarts, were up 18.1%.

Despite price declines for beef and pork, processed meat such as hot dogs and lunch meats continued to see a price increase in August. Frankfurter prices were up 18.3% in August year-over-year, whereas lunch meat prices rose 18.2%. This is partly due to an industry-wide labor shortage for workers, Earnest said, which means the higher wages needed to attract workers are being passed along to consumers.................

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/we-have-yet-to-see-a-peak-in-food-inflation-food-prices-see-highest-increase-since-1979-with-one-item-up-nearly-40-on-last-year-11663097731?mod=home-page

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Where's the "reduction" in the "Inflation Reduction Act"?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Our bank accounts?

Offline LMAO

Our waistlines due to food costs?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 04:29:47 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online libertybele

Our bank accounts?

People are definitely feeling the pinch in their wallets and it's not going to get better anytime soon.

The GOP may win the House and perhaps even the Senate, but with no end in sight for soaring inflation, the GOP will eventually be blamed for the recession.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
$19.95/lb. for a "T" Bone?

And its not even cooked? **nononono*
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online libertybele

$19.95/lb. for a "T" Bone?

And its not even cooked? **nononono*

Farmer Joe's has T-bone steaks on sale this week for $14.99/lb and no they aren't cooked.  **nononono*

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Farmer Joe's has T-bone steaks on sale this week for $14.99/lb and no they aren't cooked.  **nononono*

That's a good price.  I'd stock up..
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online libertybele

That's a good price.  I'd stock up..

A darn bargain.