Author Topic: THE STORY BEHIND THIS ALL-GOLD F-16 – AND 5 MORE NEW COMBAT PLANE PAINT JOBS YOU NEED TO SEE  (Read 255 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
THE STORY BEHIND THIS ALL-GOLD F-16 – AND 5 MORE NEW COMBAT PLANE PAINT JOBS YOU NEED TO SEE
Hope Seck | September 8, 2022

One could argue that the F-16 Fighting Falcon plane doesn’t need any special paint job to be the coolest thing in the air. After all, the Viper, as pilots call it, is the world’s most popular fighter by number of planes in service around the world, and the ride of choice for the elite Air Force Thunderbirds. But when you see one sparkle in flawless all-gold, it somehow still hits differently.

In July, in celebration of the Air Force’s 75th anniversary, the Iowa Air National Guard rolled out an F-16 with a fresh all-gold paint job and intricate details harking back to the state’s first gold heritage jet, unveiled in 1996. Like that 50th anniversary F-16, the new throwback jet has a striking glossy black radome, or nose cone, and the inscription “Pride of Siouxland” across the side. The original anniversary dates, 1946-1996, are printed on the ventral fins under the body of the plane. Unit emblems including a black bat with wings spread and a native American headdress bearing the words “Sioux City” can be found on the tail.

Golden F-16 plane paint job
A gold U.S. Air Force F-16A Falcon from the Iowa Air National Guard is on the ramp in Sioux City, Iowa on June 30, 2022. The jet is painted with commemorative anniversary paint scheme that replicates the unit’s 50th-anniversary gold jet as it appeared in 1996. The 2022 redesign of the 185th Air Refueling Wing static display was unveiled as the Air Force celebrates its 75th Anniversary this year. (U.S. Air Force photo Senior Master Sgt. Vincent De Groot)

The aircraft also carries multiple hat tips to Col. Dennis Swanstrom, the Iowa ANG 128th Air Refueling Wing commander who had the audacity to create the original all-gold fighter, even though special paint jobs for active planes were essentially unheard-of at the time.

https://www.sandboxx.us/blog/the-story-behind-this-all-gold-f-16-and-5-more-new-combat-plane-paint-jobs-you-need-to-see/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Hmmm, let me guess after looking at the plane. Is it the 50th anniversary, which is gold, of the aircraft? So it's a show piece?