Author Topic: It 'Blew Everything Apart.' Osprey Accident Shows Danger of Clutch Issue as Services Keep Flying  (Read 145 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
It 'Blew Everything Apart.' Osprey Accident Shows Danger of Clutch Issue as Services Keep Flying

7 Sep 2022
Military.com | By Konstantin Toropin and Thomas Novelly

In the early hours of Dec. 13, 2017, the airmen aboard Pyro 76 -- an Air Force MV-22 Osprey -- were jolted awake in the skies over Arizona by loud noises and aircraft movement. They were falling out of the sky.

Based on testimony in the official Air Force investigation and an interview with an airman aboard the aircraft on that flight, Pyro 76 illustrates the danger that hard clutch engagements, or HCEs -- a problem that recently grounded all of the service's Ospreys -- pose to aircraft and crew.

Testimony in the incident report that was provided to Military.com says the crew immediately took action and prepared for an emergency landing after the aircraft dropped in altitude and they "heard what sounded like the [right-hand] engine spooling down."

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2022/09/07/it-blew-everything-apart-osprey-accident-shows-danger-of-clutch-issue-services-keep-flying.html?ESRC=eb_220908.nl
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson