Author Topic: Over 100 Cuban migrants apprehended over the weekend in waters off South Florida  (Read 283 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Over 100 Cuban migrants apprehended over the weekend in waters off South Florida
CNN Expansion, Mel Alonso
By Melissa Alonso, CNN

Updated 1:29 PM ET, Tue September 6, 2022

(CNN)US Border Patrol agents apprehended more than 100 Cuban migrants after multiple vessels reached land in South Florida over Labor Day weekend, as Cuba grapples with its worst shortage of food and medicine in decades and runaway inflation.

On Monday, Border Patrol agents took into custody 15 migrants -- 13 men and two women -- after they landed on Miami-Dade's Haulover Beach, Chief Patrol Agent of the Miami Sector Walter Slosar said in a tweet.

On Saturday, two migrant groups, totaling 42 Cubans, made landfall in the Dry Tortugas and Islamorada, he added. And on Friday, 45 Cuban migrants on a fishing vessel were taken into custody after landing in the Marquesas Keys, an uninhabited island group west of Key West, he said in another tweet.

The apprehensions come as Cuba has seen an upsurge in migrants fleeing the island nation amid unrest and dissatisfaction. Last July, Cubans frustrated by shortages of food, medicine and a creaky power grid held the largest anti-government protests since the 1959 revolution.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/06/us/cuban-migrants-florida/index.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline EdinVA

And what did we do with those "migrants"?
Put them up in a $1000 per day hotel with all meals provided?