Author Topic: Georgia woman Caitlin Jensen moved to rehab after being left paralyzed from routine chiropractor vis  (Read 552 times)

Offline mountaineer

Georgia woman Caitlin Jensen moved to rehab after being left paralyzed from routine chiropractor visit
 By Patrick Reilly   
September 7, 2022 9:55pm
The Georgia woman who was left paralyzed and unable to speak after receiving a routine neck adjustment at a chiropractor has been transferred to a rehab facility where she’s begun her long road to recovery.

Caitlin Jensen, 28, who graduated from Georgia Southern University in May, had four arteries in her neck dissected after a visit to a Savannah chiropractor on June 16, which led to cardiac arrest, a stroke and traumatic brain injury. ...

Jensen lost her pulse for a full 10 minutes before doctors revived her and rushed her into surgery, placing a stent in one of the arteries. Doctors believe she suffered a stroke as a result of the neck manipulation, her mother said.

She is able to respond to verbal commands by blinking and giving a thumbs up or thumbs down but is unable to move the rest of her body ...
NY Post

I remember reading about a lawsuit several decades ago involving a woman whose neck was manipulated by a chiropractor - he was attempting to address her vision issues, of all things - and she dropped dead on the spot.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I only will allow one chiropractor to manipulate my neck. No others need apply. I haven't needed that for years, either. (He did a good job).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

I've never utilized the services of a chiropractor, and so have no history, good or bad.
Lest anyone think this is some kind of hit piece on that profession, please know I'm well aware that medical doctors also have harmed patients in many ways, including fatally - thus the medical malpractice industry.  Just thought this young woman's case was a sad and interesting story.

Online libertybele

I've never utilized the services of a chiropractor, and so have no history, good or bad.
Lest anyone think this is some kind of hit piece on that profession, please know I'm well aware that medical doctors also have harmed patients in many ways, including fatally - thus the medical malpractice industry.  Just thought this young woman's case was a sad and interesting story.

Years ago when I was much younger I used a chiropractor who truly did a lot of good. I shortly developed range of motion and was able to get off of drugs that made me feel like a zombie.

Lately though I've been reading about the risks involved with chiropractic and my opinion is that as one gets older, there is more risk.  I have neck issues and back issues and physical therapy helps; not perfect, but it helps.

I'll stick to physical therapy; gentler and yes, it does take more time.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online roamer_1

I believe in chiropractors way more than medical doctors, as anyone who works with heavy lifting will testify... I literally don't know anyone who works (physical labor) for a living that doesn't use chiros.

That being said - it is a field full of charlatans - every bit as much as medical doctors - So finding a real one is often a hard thing to do.

Most times, properly done, a full rip, and then maybe one or two more is all you'll need. Too many of them think they have a milk cow.

Online libertybele

I believe in chiropractors way more than medical doctors, as anyone who works with heavy lifting will testify... I literally don't know anyone who works (physical labor) for a living that doesn't use chiros.

That being said - it is a field full of charlatans - every bit as much as medical doctors - So finding a real one is often a hard thing to do.

Most times, properly done, a full rip, and then maybe one or two more is all you'll need. Too many of them think they have a milk cow.

No doctor or chiropractor is perfect and sometimes the body just reacts differently than expected.  Recently I have read several cases of neck adjustments by chiros that have gone terribly wrong and as the body ages, I'm thinking that it may not spring back as it should. 

I am not against chiropractic, but having years and years of neck pain even with the treatment long ago by a chiropractor, I'll refrain from going to one again...the one I used is still in practice, but my neck has seen better days.  Physical therapy uses very slow movements that are less likely to do some permanent harm (you can stop if you start to feel pain) whereas chiropractic maneuvers are very swift movements of the bones and could interfere with nerve function.  Just my opinion.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mountaineer

That being said - it is a field full of charlatans - every bit as much as medical doctors
No doubt. Not sure any profession is charlatan-free!

Online roamer_1

No doctor or chiropractor is perfect and sometimes the body just reacts differently than expected.  Recently I have read several cases of neck adjustments by chiros that have gone terribly wrong and as the body ages, I'm thinking that it may not spring back as it should. 

I am not against chiropractic, but having years and years of neck pain even with the treatment long ago by a chiropractor, I'll refrain from going to one again...the one I used is still in practice, but my neck has seen better days.  Physical therapy uses very slow movements that are less likely to do some permanent harm (you can stop if you start to feel pain) whereas chiropractic maneuvers are very swift movements of the bones and could interfere with nerve function.  Just my opinion.

I have gone through years of PT with little gain... Thousands of dollars... And then finally went to a chiro and immediately got much range of motion back. His program worked really well for me...

But it took a while, and required I rest for 30 minutes after the pop, and then get up and walk at least a mile.

I want to do that again. It will cost about a grand across three months (up to 3x a week), and I am putting that money together in hopes I can walk through the winter here. That regimen got me closer to being back than anything else wrt PT.

Offline berdie

I have pretty severe scoliosis. I would be pretty hard pressed to go to a chiro that didn't really know his/her stuff.

This story confirms my belief.

I can still hobble around....today.