Author Topic: Lake Mead Low Water Levels: Overuse, Not Climate Change  (Read 247 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Lake Mead Low Water Levels: Overuse, Not Climate Change
« on: August 27, 2022, 04:47:52 pm »
 Lake Mead Low Water Levels: Overuse, Not Climate Change 

2022August27

Not Climate 7 hours ago Guest Blogger 
From Dr. Roy Spencer’s Global Warming Blog

August 24th, 2022 by Roy W. Spencer, Ph. D.

UPDATED: Fixed Bureau of Reclamation study link, added Colorado River basin snowpack graph and discussion.

In today’s news is yet another article claiming the record-low water levels in Lake Mead (a manmade water reservoir) are due to human-caused climate change. In fact, to make the problem even more sinister, the Mafia is also part of the story:

Climate change is uncovering gruesome mafia secrets in this Las Vegas lake

While it is true that recent years have seen somewhat less water available from the Colorado River basin watershed (which supplies 97% of Lake Mead’s water), this is after years of above-average water inflow from mountain snowpack. Those decadal time-scale changes are mostly the result of stronger El Nino years (more mountain snows) giving way to stronger La Nina years (less snow).

The result is record-low water levels:

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/08/27/lake-mead-low-water-levels-overuse-not-climate-change/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hoodat

Re: Lake Mead Low Water Levels: Overuse, Not Climate Change
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2022, 04:57:37 pm »
If they simply closed the sluiceways, the level would begin rising.  Besides, with levels this low, efficiency has dropped considerably.  Higher lake levels feed more force to the turbines.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Lake Mead Low Water Levels: Overuse, Not Climate Change
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2022, 05:29:39 pm »
By "Overuse," I take that as meaning we're running the generators too much, and that just sends more water downriver to me.  Lake Mead may be low enough to uncover dead Wise Guys, but the downstream Lakes Mohave and Havasu are not low.  Nevertheless, the National Government is ordering AZ to cut back our draw by 20%.  In contrast, CA has to reduce by 8%.

This has a much greater effect on Phoenix than it does here by the Colorado River, because they get a lot of water through the CAP canals that bring water from the river to Maricopa County.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: