Author Topic: In 'aggressive' step toward clean energy, Hawaii is closing its only coal power plant  (Read 307 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
In 'aggressive' step toward clean energy, Hawaii is closing its only coal power plant
Kathleen Wong, USA TODAY - Wednesday

HONOLULU — Hawaii is getting ready to say goodbye to its only coal power plant on Sept. 1 as part of its "aggressive push to renewable energy," according to the state's top energy official.

The state received its final shipment of coal last week to the AES Hawaii power plant, located on the western side of Oahu, and is looking toward new solar and battery storage energy projects.

"It's the first large fossil fuel power plant that we're retiring," said Scott Glenn, chief energy officer at Hawaii State Energy Office. "The rest of the country is also grappling with this and we don't have the tools that the rest of the country does. ... (As an island chain) we can't reach out to others for help. It's an important step for Hawaii, and I also think it's going to be something that other states look to."

In 2015, Hawaii became the first state to commit to 100% clean energy with a deadline of 2045 – and the plant's closure marks a "very important milestone," Glenn said. Now, 20 states plus the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico have made clean energy commitments.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/in-aggressive-step-toward-clean-energy-hawaii-is-closing-its-only-coal-power-plant/ar-AA110hb4?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=0957777f55e4db1f8cce3fb22b8b558d
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Another participant in the energy suicide cult.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
They all might end up starving, but at least they won't freeze to death.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
They all might end up starving, but at least they won't freeze to death.
Well, of all the States, Hawaii has a shot at using geothermal energy.
How much geothermal energy is used in Hawaii?
In 2021, geothermal energy from PGV provided Hawai'i Island with 17.6% of its electricity needs. Prior to the Kīlauea eruption in 2018, geothermal energy from PGV provided an estimated 31% of the island's energy. Other areas in Hawai'i have been studied and show suitable attributes for geothermal energy generation.
https://www.energy.gov/eere/geothermal/hawaii-geothermal-area
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis