Author Topic: Dow drops 750 points following Powell speech at Jackson Hole  (Read 512 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Dow drops 750 points following Powell speech at Jackson Hole
by Jared Gans - 08/26/22 2:51 PM ET

The Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped more than 750 points Friday following comments from Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell that the Fed will press forward with raising interest rates while inflation lingers.

Powell gave a keynote address at the Fed’s annual policy summit in Jackson Hole, Wyo., saying that the central bank would be willing to take “forceful and rapid” steps to address inflation even if it means potentially higher unemployment rates and a recession.

The Nasdaq composite also dropped more than 400 points, and the S&P 500 dropped by more than 100 points.

The Bureau of Economic Analysis revealed on Friday that inflation slowed to 6.3 percent in July from exactly a year ago. This figure is down from the 6.8 percent annual inflation rate that was reported in June.

But the Fed’s goal is to get inflation down to 2 percent, and Powell said the drop from last month is “far short” of what the Fed needs to see before it can be confident that inflation is dropping.

The Fed has already raised interest rates from a range of 0 to 0.25 percent in March to 2.25 to 2.5 percent in July. This included two consecutive increases of 0.75 percentage points, the largest monthly increases in almost 30 years.

Higher interest rates can restrain economic growth by making borrowing money more expensive and slowing consumer spending.

Powell said the Fed’s decision on how much to raise interest rates next month will be based on the data it receives.

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/3617218-dow-drops-750-points-following-powell-speech-at-jackson-hole/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Re: Dow drops 750 points following Powell speech at Jackson Hole
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 07:24:14 pm »
This all and 100% on Biden and his cronies.  Prior to this pedophile taking office, I figured there were still 3-5 years left in this bull market.

He and his economic team are criminally incompetent.  And we all now will pay.   
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 07:32:45 pm »
It's on Powell too.  If he wanted to stop inflation, he would stop issuing new money.  Then if Biden wanted to increase spending by another half trillion or so, he would have to go to China or the Saudis to fund it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 07:36:16 pm »
It's on Powell too.  If he wanted to stop inflation, he would stop issuing new money.  Then if Biden wanted to increase spending by another half trillion or so, he would have to go to China or the Saudis to fund it.

Yep, Powell's contradictory policy around inflationary controls is truly sadly comical. 

You hate shorting your own country but if it was possible........
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline WhatWouldReaganDo

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 07:58:55 pm »
Yep, Powell's contradictory policy around inflationary controls is truly sadly comical. 

You hate shorting your own country but if it was possible........
Yes, he should have stuck to his guns after he started raising rates in 2018. But he let some dumbass berate him into lowering them again.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/18/trump-says-powell-and-the-fed-fail-again-have-no-guts-no-sense-no-vision.html
Down the centuries, you have slurred the meaning of the words, "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty, to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution". These words and the words that follow, were not written only for the Yangs, but for the Kohms as well! They must apply to everyone, or they mean nothing! - James Tiberius Kirk

Online libertybele

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 08:07:22 pm »
Market down over 1,000 pts.  I've retired from banking and finance for quite awhile now but I don't ever recall a 1,000 pt. drop!!

Dow tumbles 1,000 points for the worst day since 2020, Nasdaq drops 5%

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/04/stock-market-futures-open-to-close-news.html

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB!!!!!!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 10:05:12 pm »
Yes, he should have stuck to his guns after he started raising rates in 2018. But he let some dumbass berate him into lowering them again.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/18/trump-says-powell-and-the-fed-fail-again-have-no-guts-no-sense-no-vision.html

Yep
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2022, 10:18:04 pm »

What he should have done is told everyone to pound sand when Congress came asking him to print up $2 trillion just to keep Big Fat Government running.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-