Author Topic: Cold War Offers Clues About China’s Plans for the Indian Ocean  (Read 110 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
 Cold War Offers Clues About China’s Plans for the Indian Ocean

By David Brewster

Seeing the CCP’s external influence work through Beijing’s eyes

Ambassador says Australian equipment can give Ukrainian troops the edge they need
Australia can be an arsenal of democracy

A recent study published by the U.S. Army War College looks at how geography constrained the Soviet military presence in the Indian Ocean and the lessons that can be drawn for China’s efforts to become an Indian Ocean power.

Geography has a big impact on the strategic dynamics of the Indian Ocean. It is largely enclosed on three sides with few maritime entry points. The Himalayas also cut off much of the Eurasian hinterland from access to the sea.

This makes it hard for militaries to get access. The semi-enclosed geography of the Indian Ocean creates a premium for naval powers that control the maritime chokepoints and the limited number of deep-water ports for essential logistical support.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2022/08/26/cold_war_offers_clues_about_chinas_plans_for_the_indian_ocean_850142.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson